HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 10-28-2020, 04:13 PM   #1
HawkBrosMav

Liked 276 Times in 68 Posts
Default Header Coating

Who does ceramic coatings on headers these days?

on a side note other than American Racing Headers who has an "out of the box" 1-5/8" primaries stainless set of headers out there?

Brad
HawkBrosMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 09:27 PM   #2
monte385

Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Default Re: Header Coating

I had mine done at Jet hot a couple years ago.

https://www.jet-hot.com/
monte385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 10-28-2020, 09:48 PM   #3
Gmirza

Liked 209 Times in 81 Posts

Central Connecticut Coatings in Hartford Ct. I had a set done last winter and plan on having another set recoated this winter. They did a good job.
Gmirza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 12:50 AM   #4
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,411 Times in 1,682 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmirza View Post
Central Connecticut Coatings in Hartford Ct. I had a set done last winter and plan on having another set recoated this winter. They did a good job.
I believe they are in East Hartford, which means you just have to lock the doors when driving through, rather than locking the doors and carrying heat on the seat. ;-)
Old 10-29-2020, 10:38 AM   #5
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 696 Times in 201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmirza View Post
I've been using Central Connecticut Coatings for years , they do great work, both on new and recoat.
Their coatings have far outlasted anything I have had done by Jet Hot or Nitroplate, plus they are pleasant to deal with and usually have excellent turnaround times .
Never been disappointed by their work.
Old 10-29-2020, 11:12 AM   #6
Jeff Jewell

Liked 172 Times in 36 Posts

I'm having a new set of headers built this winter and I'm going to try nickel plating. Looks promising on some headers that I've seen. I believe it can only be done on new headers. Billy Nees can speak more on the specifics.
Jeff Jewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:24 PM   #7
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,730 Times in 1,512 Posts

Well, I sent Brad a PM explaining this but since Jeff has brought it up I guess that I should fill everybody in.
The process is called Electroless Nickel Plating and I was turned on to it by Greg Stump of ACP Headers (the old Stahl). From what I've seen, it is primarily used on huge valves and pipes that are used in underground water projects. It coats the inside and outside of the pipe through a dipping process that actually gets into the micro-cracks in the tubing. So far, all of my customers (me? customers? how about buds) have been very satisfied.
I use a company that is somewhat local to me, whose name I can't remember right now, and have always been given prompt and courteous service.
In Brad's case, I would suggest looking locally for a vendor. I know just from googleing "electroless nickel plating" I have found 3 other places close to me that offer this process. The vendor that I'm dealing with will only do silver but there are others out there who offer the process in black also.
Just one more thing, GET AN ESTIMATE! Pricewise, it's + or - competitive with ceramic coatings but I have had some surprises when it comes to pricing because of the market price and amount of nickel used. The headers that I have had done so far have been done with a .003 coating and they're great. The vendor told me that he could go as thin as .0015 and really drop the price but he doesn't know how it would hold up. The next set that I do for myself I'm going to have done at .0015.
Oh, because of the need for the part to be very clean, the vendor who I use will only do NEW headers.

Make tech "TECH" again!

Last edited by Billy Nees; 10-29-2020 at 03:26 PM.
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:58 PM   #8
Bpozzi

Liked 97 Times in 18 Posts

Hey Brad - jet hot is one of the originators of the header coatings. They put out a great product and have an amazing warranty on the work. If you want to send me a PM I can put you in contact with someone there to give you a substantial deal.
Old 10-30-2020, 11:41 AM   #9
Jim Caughlin

Liked 691 Times in 207 Posts

As a header fabricator, I regularly use Finishline Coating in Portland Oregon. They are local to me so I just drop them off but I know they have header customers that ship in and out. No issues with their price and quality.

Jim Caughlin
SS6019
Jim Caughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:04 PM   #10
Leon Rennebaum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bonehead Performance in Trevose PA does a pretty decent job with various options. I believe that they farm out header coating but are good to deal with. Here is a link
https://boneheadperformance.com/
Leon Rennebaum is offline   Reply With Quote