HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-19-2022, 07:30 PM   #1
OkieRocket

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default Wheelie Bar Kit Choices/recommendations

What type of Wheelie Bar Kits do you guys recommend? I have a 70 Olds 442 "older" Super Stock Car that I have redone to a 4-Link Set up for ET Bracket Racing.
I can definitely handle TIG Welding the Components, but would like a 4-Link design Wheelie Bar Kit (i.e., that doesn't require any welding to the Tubes of the Rear End.). I have a Mark Williams Modular 9" Rear End (4.30: 1 Ratio) under the Car with upper and lower Rod End Bolt Bosses/Brackets, so having a "4-point" Rod End connection for the Wheelie Bar Links would be most desireable.
FYI.....The Car weights around 3,900 lbs. with me in it. 765HP Olds 455, Rossler TH400 Trans., 5500 Converter, AFCO front & rear Adj. Shocks and 14x 31 Goodyear Slicks. Shift at 7,100 RPM.
Any recommendations would be appreciated on "Kit" info., as well as Bar Length and Tube diameter recommendationsl.

Thanks in advance.

Harold
OkieRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 09:42 PM   #2
Jim Whitehead

Liked 145 Times in 38 Posts
Default Re: Wheelie Bar Kit Choices/recommendations

Check out Ken Keir race cars.

Last edited by Jim Whitehead; 09-20-2022 at 10:20 AM.
Jim Whitehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 01:43 AM   #3
CMcAllister

Liked 745 Times in 206 Posts

How violently the car leaves and how hard the car gets on the bars, will determine the parts, pieces and design of the bars.

Does it need and use the bars? Or are they a "just in case" safety device?

Sprung or unsprung? Stick guys have always wanted sprung. Especially if they are on the short side.

Length? This is often a function of how close to the backdoor the car is in the trailer and if you are willing to install and remove them every time you load the car.

Material size? Diameter, wall thickness.

Budget?

You may end up sourcing parts and pieces from a few different places to get the exact configuration you desire.
CMcAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 12:11 PM   #4
Matt S

Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts

Very highly recommend Ken Keir Race Cars. Workmanship is top notch, only exceeded by their customer service.
Matt S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 07:36 PM   #5
OkieRocket

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Thanks for the responses and referral to Ken Keir Race Cars.

Also.....CMcAllister, Special Thanks for the very detailed reply...some stuff I hadn't even considered....like being able to "fit" the Car with Bars into the Trailer...

FYI, The Bars may not be a necessity at this point??..I'm trying to head off possible future troubles, just in case. As I've moved the Engine rearward ~ 5" in the chassis, I'm thinking they may be a good idea.

Also, I'm thinking 4130 tubes (maybe 1" OD x 0.095" wall - or whatever is recommended) with Rod Ends at all 4 points. Maybe 60" long - equipped with Springs.

I also do a lot of 4130 TIG Welding, so "assembly/fabricating" shouldn't be an issue for me. As far as a Budget...I'm hoping $ 500 or less for the Kit, or components.

Attached is a Photo of the Rear of the Car to give you a better idea of what I have for a set up.

Thanks again.
Harold
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rearend (Small).jpg
Views:	203
Size:	613.9 KB
ID:	65005  
OkieRocket is offline   Reply With Quote