HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Stock/Super Stock Associations > All Star Racing Association

Old 01-01-2023, 11:21 AM   #11
AJ Laferty

Liked 24 Times in 9 Posts
Default Re: To RV, or not to RV........

One friend of mine rents a class A for all of his long haul events. There is a website like airbnb for RVs.

He tows with the rental class A. Picks it up, uses it and returns it. Doesn't have $200K tied up in the class A, doesn't have to store it, doesn't have to insure it, doesn't have to license it, doesn't have to keep it inspected or maintained.

Not cheap but I would imagine the avoiding just the insurance cost is close to the cost of the RV rental. Plus it is a win for the renter, they are gettting some money for their RV that is sitting in the driveway...
Old 01-07-2023, 07:05 AM   #12
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,662 Times in 850 Posts

For what it's worth, I've looked at RVshare.com before and found some of the rates pretty high given they add on insurance, cleaning fees, etc. and then tack on for "excess miles" or "excess generator usage". Ergo, unless my wife or another driver brings along my Ford Transit based Class C I'm pretty much resorting to sleeping in the trailer and using truck stops or fitness centers for showers. I have a spotless driving record (in the last 50 years anyway LOL) and have insured small Class B's all the way up to 45 foot Class A's between $1300-2300 @ year which is not too extreme based on crazy insurance rates on vehicles. RV Storage can be expensive and scarce in many areas and of course maintenance is very expensive. All just things to consider and as we all know fuel costs are ridiculous, with diesel usually tacking on another dollar per gallon. GasBuddy (highly recommended app) is predicting 2023 prices to hover near the 2022 range with the west coast being the extreme again. Have a nephew going to RV from WA to Alaska in June and I told him to double his fuel estimate based on what I saw on my latest motorcycle adventure. Alaska should be on everybody's bucket list, just take advantage of cheap cruises to do it.

Forgive the rambling...
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-07-2023, 03:18 PM   #13
ken robinson

Liked 163 Times in 68 Posts

I built a small living quarters ( bed shower & m/wave& coffee maker ] in my 24 footer not as nice as a motor home , but it was cheaper than a RV & hotels . Its towed by a 3/4 pickup with a cap for tools & genator & other stuff
ken robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-08-2023, 11:34 AM   #14
Marc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I struggled with the same decision a few years ago and ultimately went with a 32ft bumper pull LQ trailer. The big decision make for me is I'm almost always traveling alone (maybe the dog sometimes) and don't need much space. My F250 with the 7.3 gas motor tows it anywhere easily and it's nice being able to unhook at the track and go wherever. That being said if my wife and daughters were into racing, I would definitely go the MH route.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 08:52 AM   #15
Ronnie1858

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Marc,

If you don't mind me asking, what brand LQ trailer did you buy? I have just about convinced myself that this is the route I will go. I also have an F250 with the 7.3L gas engine.

Thanks.

Ron
Old 01-09-2023, 05:01 PM   #16
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,636 Times in 506 Posts

I have both.
I have a 40 ft gooseneck trailer with home built LQ. I have been staying in that for many years. About 12 years ago I bought at Freightliner toter to haul with. Huge difference traveling in a rig like that.
Unless you use the motor home for other reasons than racing the LQ trailer is the best option. I am a construction superintendent and spend quite a bit of time out of town. I stay in the toter at a campground. I spend about 200 nights a year in my toter. I use the toter for raing when i have a long tow or a long duration event. The diesel generator in the toter uses way less fuel than the gas generator in the trailer. I also have a GMC 4500 that I use for towing at the shorter trips and if the toter is several hundred miles from home at a campground near the jobsite. My toter is a Feightliner M2 with a 15 ft body on it. 7-8 mpg towing at 65 mph
Old 01-10-2023, 08:23 PM   #17
Marc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie1858 View Post
Marc,

If you don't mind me asking, what brand LQ trailer did you buy? I have just about convinced myself that this is the route I will go. I also have an F250 with the 7.3L gas engine.

Thanks.

Ron
It's a Millennium (Vintage). I picked it up just before the prices started to explode. I'm real happy with it and your F250 will have no issues handling it. I was towing with a 2012 F250 6.2 with 4.30s and air bags before and it did fine, but the truck was definitely working hard going up hills. There's a little rear end sag with the new truck and I'm considering air bags as well, but it's just a visual thing, the truck rides great pulling the trailer.

Millennium also makes a 34ft bumper pull LQ trailer that adds 2ft of garage space. Also, it's a triple axle as opposed to dual on the 32ft.
Old 01-11-2023, 02:57 PM   #18
Ronnie1858

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
It's a Millennium (Vintage). I picked it up just before the prices started to explode. I'm real happy with it and your F250 will have no issues handling it. I was towing with a 2012 F250 6.2 with 4.30s and air bags before and it did fine, but the truck was definitely working hard going up hills. There's a little rear end sag with the new truck and I'm considering air bags as well, but it's just a visual thing, the truck rides great pulling the trailer.

Millennium also makes a 34ft bumper pull LQ trailer that adds 2ft of garage space. Also, it's a triple axle as opposed to dual on the 32ft.
Thanks, Marc. That is the dealer I've been looking at. I have pretty much decided on the 34 footer with the triple axles, am happy to see that you pointed this out as well. Appreciate the feedback.

Ron
Old 01-11-2023, 10:04 PM   #19
Marc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie1858 View Post
Thanks, Marc. That is the dealer I've been looking at. I have pretty much decided on the 34 footer with the triple axles, am happy to see that you pointed this out as well. Appreciate the feedback.

Ron
Anytime Ron, best of luck!