Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-10-2014, 06:46 PM   #151
Arizona Kid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Project Junkyard Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Swartz View Post
At the current level. Even if the combo gets wacked, there's still a little left in the tank. Plus there are still different years to move around. It will take awhile to legislate the cars out of existence.

I'm with Billy, need to look at other 2 barrel combos. I already have a friend that has asked me about a 318 Mopar for his 71 Dart. Told him I'd look at the options and see where a "best fit" for the car might be. Which might entail changing sheet metal, he's onboard with that. Told him we need to sit down and build the various combos on paper first.
Robert, I have the heads off my 1986 Chrysler 318 #302 if anything works out for the guy with the 71.
Arizona Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:41 PM   #152
farmco r/sa

Liked 147 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Toller View Post
No worries, we're in the same boat. My worry is I am doing this on such a tight budget that if my particular combo gets hit I may be in trouble. I know I could do much more on my build, but that means either it sits longer while I save up, and then get zero track time, or I do the minimum now, and upgrade as I can, and I at least see the track. Waiting for it to thaw out with little to do is my enemy right now...going stir crazy, wondering what will happen, overthinking things, etc...
sure hope no one smacks this deal for you guys..
Old 03-12-2014, 09:50 PM   #153
Joe Toller

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I'm stepping back to do things just a little less "budget", so I don't have to worry as much, or do it twice...gives me time to see how this year plays out, and if things change drastically I can react.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:10 PM   #154
farmco r/sa

Liked 147 Times in 54 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Project Junkyard Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Toller View Post
I'm stepping back to do things just a little less "budget", so I don't have to worry as much, or do it twice...gives me time to see how this year plays out, and if things change drastically I can react.
great plan. no sense in loosing sleep over..
Old 04-08-2014, 03:54 PM   #155
George W

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Joe any progress ?
George W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:12 PM   #156
Joe Toller

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Yes, and no. Details to come soon!
Old 06-22-2014, 09:10 PM   #157
smracer2002

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Any updates yet. Joe?
smracer2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:08 PM   #158
Joe Toller

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Not much new to report, family stuff took over so I have kept pretty quiet as to not jinx myself too bad lol. Engine is complete, trans less converter, body and suspension done, interior needs a little help as does the body. I hoped to have it complete by the end of July and make some passes by August. Not sure if it will happen, but once I have a timeslip in hand I will update the whole deal, good or bad. I need to find some extra funds or a temporary converter option. I guess I am not even able to afford a dime rocket lol!

Last edited by Joe Toller; 06-24-2014 at 11:04 PM. Reason: discouraged
Joe Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:26 PM   #159
Joe Toller

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

It's over. I have had to put things to paper, and a harsh reality has hit me. I personally lack the capital and the patience to do this. This is really not easy. Class racing is an enormous challenge, and not one for someone strapped for time and/or cash. For me, staring at an almost-yet nowhere near completed project, and my bank account, and factoring in the odds-and-ends, fuel, and entry fee, and the fact that beyond 1 LODRS race and 1 National Open this is basically a Sportsman bracket car unless I want to leave the state (and it's a BIG state), and I see this is not going to give me what I am searching for. I'm not mad about it, if anything maybe I put unrealistic expectations on what I could do. I was not meant to be a Class Racer, no matter how much I like the challenge or the concept. So with that, I have put the car up for sale, and am dusting off the fwd dirt car. I will always be a huge fan of Stock. I think it's not a matter of making it affordable, or watering down or dumbing down the class, but more about finding those people whose personality suits this. I am very grateful for all the people I have encountered and all I have learned. In the end, I failed. But, I tried, and that's something. Thank you all, and good luck.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:30 PM   #160
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts

No shame Joe...it's a really expensive hobby for sure. We don't have a world beater by any stretch and probably never will. I still enjoy attending the Combo events even tho I would likely lose in a heads-up pairing. We took our car to a local bracket race last weekend for some carb TNT and ended up in the final. We have a blast with it no matter the venue.