CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Class Racer Builds (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   "Family Tradition" a build for Daughter & Grandchildren (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=79657)

Dragsinger 06-29-2021 10:05 AM

Woodfin's novice build up of 2010 Colorado

This will be the mildest, least expensive build I have done in many years. The core is a 2010 Chevy Colorado "donated" to the cause :)

The novice has at least two meanings. First, my grandchildren will be driving it, and they qualify as novices.

Second, my goal is to show the build-up with basic tools and supplies to demonstrate that an inexperienced builder can be successful.

Would you please check back often as the project develops? Photos and details beginning soon.

Dragsinger 06-29-2021 03:00 PM

Re: "Family Tradition" a build for Daughter & Grandchildren

1 Attachment(s)
The plan is to use as many bolt-on parts as possible without cutting or modification. CalTracs, 29.5 x 10.5 radial, steel wheels, all OE sheet metal, bench seat. Conventional first-gen SBC, powerglide, 12 bolt rear narrowed as needed.

Dragsinger 06-29-2021 03:03 PM

Plus, an old set of Lee Sheppard ported Turbo heads :) This will have an excellent throttle response for foot braking.

Dragsinger 07-10-2021 10:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Working on a truck is a beautiful thing! Remove the bed, complete access to modifying the rear suspension. After a time of thought, I plan to install a set of ladder bars. They will do everything I want in this situation. I will also install them about 4" inboard of the factory frame so that if in the future I want a larger tire it will be an easy upgrade. Installing a Chevy 12 bolt will also be part of this exercise.

Here she is on my trusty, home-built tables that allow placing components at ride height and allowing a good view of the fitment.

Dragsinger 07-10-2021 10:45 PM

Some notes, as I begin this project, I recognize the Colorado/Canyon as a good package. It has a full-frame, rack and pinion steering, coil-over front spring with a-arms, it is overall about 3" wider and 3" longer than the S-10. I expect it to be a very nice footbraker.

Dragsinger 07-11-2021 12:10 PM

3 Attachment(s)
In the first photo, the front springs are removed so the suspension can be blocked at ride height.
The second photo shows the chassis blocked at one degree forward rake.
The third photo shows the chassis blocked level.

SSDiv6 07-11-2021 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragsinger (Post 642854)
The plan is to use as many bolt-on parts as possible without cutting or modification. CalTracs, 29.5 x 10.5 radial, steel wheels, all OE sheet metal, bench seat. Conventional first-gen SBC, powerglide, 12 bolt rear narrowed as needed.

For safety reasons, I would reconsider the use of a bench seat. Install some racing seats and give the kids additional safety margin.

doglover44 07-13-2021 11:50 AM

What class you building it for ?

Dragsinger 07-13-2021 05:59 PM

3 Attachment(s)
When converting a factory stock truck to a drag race truck, it is necessary to turn all bolts anti-clockwise. Later, after modifying each piece, bolts can be turned clockwise.

Dragsinger 07-13-2021 06:01 PM

Jake, it is a footbrake [bottom bulb] bracket racer.