HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-10-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
D. Hake 4459

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default two step for starting line and burnout

This is my first year in stock eliminator and I'm trying to be competitive so I'm putting an adjustable brake pressure switch on. The way I read the rules a 3 step is not allowed so I'll have to use a 2 step. I have both available. The first stage of the 2 step I can use for the starting line rpm. Is there a way to use the second stage for the burnout rpm? Maybe connect the burnout chip with wires to the 2 step and use a switch to disconnect it before I leave. Thanks
D. Hake 4459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: two step for starting line and burnout

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Hake 4459 View Post
This is my first year in stock eliminator and I'm trying to be competitive so I'm putting an adjustable brake pressure switch on. The way I read the rules a 3 step is not allowed so I'll have to use a 2 step. I have both available. The first stage of the 2 step I can use for the starting line rpm. Is there a way to use the second stage for the burnout rpm? Maybe connect the burnout chip with wires to the 2 step and use a switch to disconnect it before I leave. Thanks
You should be able to control you rpms in the burnout with your foot. The 2 step is bad news on the burnouts. And you don't want to be on it any longer than needed at the starting line.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #3
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

You can buy a 3-step from MSD. I always ran one and as far as I know, never had a problem. At least not the bottom end. For all I know it didn't help with the OEM stamped steel rocker arms. I do a 3rd gear burnout (4-speed) at around 6400 RPM after dumping the clutch at a little higher RPM. Very little "miss" noticed. The reason I ran the 3-step was for consistent tire temp. Same burnout, same RPM every time. I had a separate switch for burnout RPM.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:52 PM   #4
D. Hake 4459

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

My burnout rpm is barely higher than converter flash. I start the burnout in 2nd gear, bump the limiter, put in high, bump the limiter, then hold it just under that for a couple seconds and drive out of the water. My piston to valve clearance is pretty tight so I don't want rev it too high in the water and hurt it. Is a 3 step legal in stock eliminator? I have a 2 step and a 3 step already.
D. Hake 4459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:40 PM   #5

Liked 928 Times in 241 Posts

David Reher wrote an article in Dragster on two steps and burnouts, he talks about taking identical engines apart from those who use them and those don't, and finding bearing wear due to constant harmonics at one speed caused by a two step in a burnout under a load. I found it very informative, it would be nice to find the article again.

Duane
1347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:11 PM   #6
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 501 Times in 184 Posts

I find the comment by David Reher interesting, and it makes sense. I believe that however you do the burn out.... do it the same every time. That way, if you don't hook, you will have better information to make an adjustment....."did I do too much or too little of a burn out."
I have tried everything at one time or another. I do not use a two step for a burn out. I find that it only confuses me in my starting line process.......Separate button for line lock and trans brake.....set the front line lock, then shift.....too complicated for an old guy like me. I have my wife align our car just on the forward edge of the water, therefore, I know that water has covered the entire tire. I foot brake it in second and soon as it starts to spin, I shift to third....I count 2 seconds (same as I count the tree) then I lift.....I use Mickey thompsons and they don't seem to need as much burnout as others....plus, they last longer.
It kills me to see someone stop in the middle of the water to start their burnout.....then sit there spinning and slinging water into their fender wells....................only to have it drip on the tires later. That doesn't make any sense to me, but did I say I am getting old (I can't remember lol), and getting another year older tomorrow......oh crap
Old 09-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #7
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 424 Times in 204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Hake 4459 View Post
My burnout rpm is barely higher than converter flash. I start the burnout in 2nd gear, bump the limiter, put in high, bump the limiter, then hold it just under that for a couple seconds and drive out of the water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by art leong View Post
You should be able to control you rpms in the burnout with your foot. The 2 step is bad news on the burnouts. And you don't want to be on it any longer than needed at the starting line.
This^^^
Sounds like your burnout is way too long. Been doing 4-5 second burnouts, shorter on hot days, for over 22 years in a 3 speed footbrake car without a 2 or 3 step. Don't make it harder than it needs to be as has everyone of my competitors in NHRA Division 1 competing in the Summit ET Series.
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #8
ssracerjr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320racer View Post
This^^^
Sounds like your burnout is way too long. Been doing 4-5 second burnouts, shorter on hot days, for over 22 years in a 3 speed footbrake car without a 2 or 3 step. Don't make it harder than it needs to be as has everyone of my competitors in NHRA Division 1 competing in the Summit ET Series.
Once again your ignorance is showing. You know nothing about doing a burnout in a Stock legal car, so please stay out of the discussion. What you do in your 9 sec car offers nothing in comparison....especially to someone running I/SA.
ssracerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #9
John Duzac

Liked 85 Times in 20 Posts
Smile Re: two step for starting line and burnout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lee View Post
You can buy a 3-step from MSD. I always ran one and as far as I know, never had a problem. At least not the bottom end. For all I know it didn't help with the OEM stamped steel rocker arms. I do a 3rd gear burnout (4-speed) at around 6400 RPM after dumping the clutch at a little higher RPM. Very little "miss" noticed. The reason I ran the 3-step was for consistent tire temp. Same burnout, same RPM every time. I had a separate switch for burnout RPM.
Didn't they outlaw the 3 step in stock? If a 3 step is legal for stock, I will reinstall mine.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #10
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Duzac View Post
Didn't they outlaw the 3 step in stock? If a 3 step is legal for stock, I will reinstall mine.
I think they did, check with tech. I see you liked it also and with a snappy little engine like yours, I can see it getting out of hand on the burnout.

I have my 3rd step out because I went to an ICE Ignition and they didn't have that option; only a two step.
I'll be at the shop tomorrow but I understand they finally put the heads on the short-block yesterday. I gotta think it will be ready for the dyno by Friday this week.