HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-02-2010, 11:20 PM   #11
JRyan

Liked 106 Times in 29 Posts
Default Re: ahfs question

Mark,

I don't think it's an either/or situation applicable to all classes. NHRA was just stating that adjusting HP (for Stockers/Superstockers) --- OR --- Index (for Comp style cars and Hemis) would be at their descretion. In other words, the 1.25 under barrier may not be anchored in concrete.

Jerry
JRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:20 AM   #12
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,805 Times in 1,828 Posts

Jerry, I can't think of a past example where they have done anything other that the 1.40 hits or the AH index reduction because of the exclusivity of the combo.
Can you?
Old 01-03-2010, 01:37 AM   #13
JRyan

Mark,

No, I can't. But since the inception of AHFS, NHRA has never intimated that changes could be made "at the discretion of the NHRA Tech Department". Now they have. Which might mean that a 1.25 under run at Boise in the Spring in mineshaft air may not get HP or Index.

Jerry
Old 01-03-2010, 10:32 AM   #14
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
Jerry, I can't think of a past example where they have done anything other that the 1.40 hits or the AH index reduction because of the exclusivity of the combo.
Can you?
Yes I can.
They gave me 13 horsepower at once The car was rated at 152 they raised it to 165 (in one hit). And at the time, I never went fast at a national event.
Do the math how does 3.25% of 152 equal 13 . By my non fuzzy math it comes out to 8%.
Thats were there discretion comes in. You have to play by the rules, THEY DON"T
Old 01-03-2010, 02:38 PM   #15
JRyan

Art, they multiplied the 3.25% times 2.5 atmospheres for the amount of boost you were running at the time, and it comes about to around 8%. As good a guess as any, huh?

Jerry

Last edited by JRyan; 01-03-2010 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Add the word atmospheres which I forgot
Old 01-03-2010, 06:10 PM   #16
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRyan View Post
Art, they multiplied the 3.25% times 2.5 atmospheres for the amount of boost you were running at the time, and it comes about to around 8%. As good a guess as any, huh?

Jerry
You guessed wrong.
You guys with this boost stuff should really read a bit before you post about the evils of boost. How much boost do any of you think I was running? Do you honestly think you can put unlimited boost into an engine? Remember this was a stocker You can't run huge water to air intercoolers. I couldn't run any intercooler at all. The only adjustment I had was fuel pressure. 95% of the stockers out there flow a lot more air then a stock head would flow. But if you add a few pounds of boost people think you have this huge advantage, and anybody could go just as fast.
The car I run now has no intercooler either. I have to ice the intake manifold to go fast
Just like everybody else.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:07 PM   #17
JRyan

Art,

It was supposed to be a light-hearted way of explaining how NHRA got there. It just so happens that 3.25% times 2.5 comes out to 8.125%. Pretty close to the 8% you mentioned. Sorry!

Jerry
Old 01-04-2010, 09:35 AM   #18
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Art,

It was supposed to be a light-hearted way of explaining how NHRA got there. It just so happens that 3.25% times 2.5 comes out to 8.125%. Pretty close to the 8% you mentioned. Sorry!

Jerry
I'm sorry Jerry. Didn't mean to jump on you.
It's just that the boost is a touchy subject with me. And whether I got hurt by the horsepower or not, they broke their own rules by doing it.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:08 PM   #19
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Has anyone done a spreadsheet of this for the various tracks that could take the records list and autocalc it across ?

If its sounds like something that someone else would like to do/see but dosent know how, I know how to do the excel part I just need someone to check/verify a couple of the calcs as well as be 100% sure Im putting the right info into the sheet.

PM me if youd like it, personally Id like a list of all the records and what has to be run where to beat them on alt factors.....I like it all laid out in front of me....

Cheers

Quote:
Ty,

Do you know that if you run 1.25 under the altitude factored index for the record, that you don't get the record at 1.25 under? It's LESS than that, and it varies dependant on which altitude track you set it at and the correction factors applied when it's factored back to sea level. So then it really isn't a 1.25 under run, and shouldn't be the cause of a HP factor. But we have no clarification on that either!!

The fact that NHRA personel previously had to do a bunch of paperwork to figure this out at altitude tracks is the reason they just let altitude factored runs go until now.

Jerry
Chris "drooze" Wertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:24 AM   #20
Tom Moock

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

Anybody known the answer? Altitude tracks at national and division events, 1.25 under altitude index or 1.25 under sea level index ? AHFS Can somebody ask at the Winternational`s? Tried to call Bruce no answer. Tom