HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-18-2010, 10:58 PM   #21
The LL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Super Class Survey Results...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Gillespie View Post
grow some balls , until you sign with a name STFU
*post deleted*

had a little too much "christmas spirit" and i dont want to let it get the best of me......*bites tongue*

Last edited by The LL; 12-18-2010 at 11:19 PM.
The LL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:47 AM   #22
Michael Pliska

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCW View Post
Mr Bryan Gillespie I might be an idiot I do drag race, we may be a lot a like but before I make a statement as such I do think. I never said the remove of the timer would fill the stands but I think it would help. If you go to local heads up 4.70,5.30,6.00and 7.00 they have no timers and alot of spectators. As far as the stops there fine people dont even know you have one if you dont have a timer. Now if you dont like what Im saying im sorry but deep down you know im right.......Thanks for your time....CLARENCE WOODHAM
2783S/G 2783S/ST 2783S/C 2783STK
When I started racing S/G in 1988 (and slower heads-up index classes in 1987), there were still plenty of spectators in the stands to watch us at the big races. I have photos of my car in late rounds at national events with the stands still packed. Is our current lack of spectators due to a fundamental change in the type of spectators, the fundamental change in our class (to timed throttle stops), or both? I know back then the uninformed spectator didn't even have to understand how the index thing worked, he just knew that there were two cars on the track that launched hard into big wheelstands, and ran side-by-side down the track until one of the win lights came on.

I was at the PRI show last week, and spoke to a number of companies that are customers of my company. Several people commented when I mentioned that I have a Super-Gas car, asking why all the cars look like they broke off of the line. I did my best to explain the reasons for it, and the general consensus was that they now understood but still didn't want to watch it.

I think it's great that these regional associations are having so much success with no-timer index racing (as mentioned above). Hopefully NHRA has success with those classes at the Unleashed events, and provides momentum for those classes on a national level. As long as it doesn't conflict with my races in diesel race series' (where we have sponsor commitments), I'll run the rumored Unleashed events in D6 and D7.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:56 PM   #23
WCW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Michael Pliska;228843]When I started racing S/G in 1988 (and slower heads-up index classes in 1987), there were still plenty of spectators in the stands to watch us at the big races. I have photos of my car in late rounds at national events with the stands still packed. Is our current lack of spectators due to a fundamental change in the type of spectators, the fundamental change in our class (to timed throttle stops), or both? I know back then the uninformed spectator didn't even have to understand how the index thing worked, he just knew that there were two cars on the track that launched hard into big wheelstands, and ran side-by-side down the track until one of the win lights came on.

Michael you are right I just didnt want to bring up the past. Every time when we say back then everyone wants to say we are backing up. When super gas first started I was running brackets and I watched them at Gainsville and I thought that was the neatest class Id had ever seen for a regular racer. My buddy and I talked a lot about being able to run this class all the way home. He told me that I would never be able to afford it or be any good at it. I thought that it didnt matter if I had money or not that if i could cut a .400 light and run 9.90 i could win a round. It took a few years to get a car that would pass tech 1988 before I got to try it. The first year was like going to school I never got past second round.
I even sold the car. Later my friend talked me in to going to Gainsville to another points race. I had my bracket car. That was the year nhra made you have the new side bar under the floor on the driver side so i could not run super gas. They let me run super street. Long story short thats what got me back super racing. No timers just stops and ajust-a-flow carbs. This was real heads up racing and fans liked to watch it. I just like every racer out here has a timer now. I thought I had to have one to be able to compete. What Im saying is when it comes to new best things to make you a better racer I dont care what it is just let me know so I can have one to. Thats the way most of us think and I think thats the way this got so out of controll. This is just what I think.....Oh and by the way a lot of the same guys winning back then are winning today. Clarence Woodham 2783S/G S/ST

Last edited by WCW; 12-19-2010 at 04:25 PM.
WCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:32 PM   #24
Chris Williams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCW View Post
Oh and by the way a lot of the same guys winning back then are winning today.
I think this is a key point so many people are forgetting. It's really not about the timers/electronics/massive engines, etc. It's about driving. The latest toys do not make you a great driver. Just like the best camera doesn't make you Ansel Adams, and the best guitar doesn't make you Jimi Hendrix.

The people with the seat time, the smarts, and the skills can win with or without the best toys.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:52 PM   #25
Jeff Beckman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jeff Beckman

Yo Rock, any Idea when the sportsman schedule for National events might come out?
Old 12-19-2010, 04:56 PM   #26
WCW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Williams View Post
I think this is a key point so many people are forgetting. It's really not about the timers/electronics/massive engines, etc. It's about driving. The latest toys do not make you a great driver. Just like the best camera doesn't make you Ansel Adams, and the best guitar doesn't make you Jimi Hendrix.

The people with the seat time, the smarts, and the skills can win with or without the best toys.
You are so right, thats all I was trying to say. Not trying to say anybody is wrong as what they want to do. This is just how I fill about the timers as what they have done to super racing as far as fans. As far as timers/stops the racer is fine because this is what we do and understand but as far as a fan they dont want to watch anymore. Thanks Clarence Woodham 2783 S/G S/ST
WCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:14 PM   #27
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

NO change!!!

Hard to believe that is the results of the vote. 8.90 is so slow I could get out and do a wing walk, get back in and have time to ram my handbrake on and win on a breakout.....

I sometimes bring a sandwich and have a bite while I'm on the stop....8.90 was pretty fast in about 1983!

No matter what the vote really was I felt NHRA would not make a change because they do not want to eliminate any possible PAYING entrant.....
Old 12-19-2010, 08:30 PM   #28
CBS
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

It was supposed to come out last week.....but I haven't seen anything yet.....
CBS is offline   Reply With Quote