HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-21-2012, 10:31 AM   #61
jimi

Liked 21 Times in 8 Posts
Default Re: A990 Super Stockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi Moose View Post
Maybe Jimi on here can tell us some of the history on this '65 Belvedere A990 Super Stocker.

i would like to thank moose for telling me about this thread,

this car is # 22 originally purchased by smokey cerrone, it was sold to steve lapointe , and then my father bought it in 1979. i still have the car, i have changed my mind on selling it, i am presently putting the stock frame rails back in the car to run it in the newly created stock classes .

i spoke with smokey about a year ago, he is in his eighties and as sharp as can be , we spoke about this car and his 64 hemi race car for about a half hour, he was amazed that this car is still around.

the story he told me was his 64 car was a sedan "fury" alumimun hemi car i went to correct him and said savoy which he abruptly corrected me and said "no they gave me a fury!" he told me that the fury was an awesome race car it set records won races and a championship. he was very excited to get the 65 a990 , the car came in just weeks before the winternationals, they worked day and night on it to get it ready drove straight to the winters and as smokey put it were very dissapointed, it was a much slower car that the 64 and it never performed up to the standard of the 64. be fore the end of the season the car was parked and saw very little use untill steve lapoint bought it.

i also asked smokey if they had any pictures or documentation from when he had the car and they have none. i do have two polaroids from when steve lapoint had the car. they are not very good pictures.

so i have been looking for pictures or documentation on my a 990 and smokeys 64 "fury" just to know what it was they had , i would also like to have pictures of my car in stock form dressed in all white paint.
jimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #62
Charlie A
VIP Member

Liked 87 Times in 63 Posts

OK. If you click the box it will take you to the picture. If anyone can repost these...please do.

One of Joe Ralph Thompson's cars and an unknown AWB (Sanford Bolin?). JRT car may have been an original aluminum front. He had several cars during this time period.
(Found these pics on an old website of Ron Brantley about Carlisle Dragway)

Last edited by Charlie A; 01-21-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Charlie A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #63
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 724 Times in 177 Posts

Joe Ralph Thompson's car was an aluminum front end car as was Sanford Bolin's. Both started as max wedge cars. Sanford's car was white and a four speed, Joe Ralph's was red and an automatic. I saw Sanford's car run on the first day he had it out at Little Rock Dragstrip. It still had the cast iron exhaust manifolds and he ran it with the factory dumps open.
Somewhere I have pictures of Joe Ralph's car from 1964 or 5. I will try to find/post them.
Dwight Southerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #64
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Here's the original "Dodge Material" '65 A990 Coronet that was painted in white before it's later blue paint scheme....

Last edited by Hemi Moose; 03-19-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Hemi Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #65
jnor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi Moose View Post
Any info about this A990.

Tom Kasch photo.
I last saw this car in Gail Parson's garage in Newark, Ohio.....Gail bought it, and he, and Ron Garey were going to race it, but it didn't happen, and Gail sold it to someone... That was in the early 70's

Last edited by jnor; 02-07-2012 at 08:48 PM.
jnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:39 PM   #66
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 290 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_Ray Remington View Post
340 Cuda. The Gruber and Kassie 63 Ply was an alum. sedan that was all white with red stripes on the hood and roof. It also had Keystone wheels all around. I can not remember for sure but I think it said The All American down the side. It has been the late 60's and I can not remember for sure on the name.

Hope this Helps
Ray Remington
Slack Time Racing
Thanks Ray, the car I am looking for was white with light blue stripes. I saw it at Indy after it left Oklahoma for Minnesota. I think it went North in 66 and I saw it in Indy in 69, lost track of it after that.
Bill
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:20 PM   #67
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Another '65 A990 Coronet super stocker...

Last edited by Hemi Moose; 09-25-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Hemi Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #68
James L Miller

Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Southerland View Post
Joe Ralph Thompson's car was an aluminum front end car as was Sanford Bolin's. Both started as max wedge cars. Sanford's car was white and a four speed, Joe Ralph's was red and an automatic. I saw Sanford's car run on the first day he had it out at Little Rock Dragstrip. It still had the cast iron exhaust manifolds and he ran it with the factory dumps open.
Somewhere I have pictures of Joe Ralph's car from 1964 or 5. I will try to find/post them.
Joe had two red Plymouths. The one I own was a 1964 MW lightweight that was converted to AWB in 1966. That car was driven by Derwood Reep as a B/A. The other red Plymouth was driven by Ron Cheshier and won B/G at the 1968 US Nationals. I was told it wasn't an AWB car. Joe drove a white Dodge at that time. I think the second photo may have been the other red Plymouth. I'm not sure if it was an A-990 car or not? The guy I bought this car from also owned one of Sanford's AWB Plymouths. He had the MSO on the body, but it was in really bad shape as far as I know. He sold that body. If anyone owns that MSO, I would question the originality of the body as there wasn't much left from acid dipping/lightening/rust from what I was told. I think the body was blue. I bought one of Sanford's old Barnett Hemi's about ten years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	277.4 KB
ID:	10468   Click image for larger version

Name:	65 Plymouth JRT.jpg
Views:	2870
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	10469  

Last edited by James L Miller; 01-22-2012 at 02:58 PM.
James L Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:09 PM   #69
James L Miller

Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts

More on the JRT Plymouth. Here is a picture of it as a bracket car in the 1980s. Pretty ugly hack job on the rear quarters. The last photo is when it was in Don Garlit's museum in Ocala. It now resides in the Bushmaster's museum in MO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4a.jpg
Views:	1818
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	10477   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030321 (600 x 450).jpg
Views:	1840
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	10478  
Old 01-22-2012, 07:03 PM   #70
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 724 Times in 177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James L Miller View Post
Joe had two red Plymouths. The one I own was a 1964 MW lightweight that was converted to AWB in 1966. That car was driven by Derwood Reep as a B/A. The other red Plymouth was driven by Ron Cheshier and won B/G at the 1968 US Nationals. I was told it wasn't an AWB car. Joe drove a white Dodge at that time. I think the second photo may have been the other red Plymouth. I'm not sure if it was an A-990 car or not? The guy I bought this car from also owned one of Sanford's AWB Plymouths. He had the MSO on the body, but it was in really bad shape as far as I know. He sold that body. If anyone owns that MSO, I would question the originality of the body as there wasn't much left from acid dipping/lightening/rust from what I was told. I think the body was blue. I bought one of Sanford's old Barnett Hemi's about ten years ago.
Sanford converted his first car to an AWB car. The second car he bought from sombody. Joe Ralph also owned a 68 SS Dart that he played in Pro Stock with.
Dwight Southerland is offline   Reply With Quote