HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-09-2015, 11:27 PM   #1
oldskool
VIP Member

Liked 750 Times in 361 Posts
Default Year Model Question

OK, here I go with another one of those dummy questions. For those models which had only very minor body changes(like grills), for 2 or 3 years in a row, will NHRA allow you to run a motor in one of the year model bodies that didn't have that particular motor as an option ?

Let me give some examples to clarify my question. The Firebird bodies were almost identical from 1970 thru '73. But in '70 no 455's came in Birds. But in the '71-'73 Birds there were D-port and 2 different round port 455's in different models. So, in this case, would NHRA allow you to use a 1970 Bird body, with one of the 455's from the later years ? Or does the VIN tag have to show that it's the correct year for said motor ? I see no performance advantage of using one of these year model bodies over another. And with the correct grills, and a few other cosmetic changes, very few could tell any difference between those 4 year models.

This happened again in '77-'78--very little difference. But, the Pontiac 350 engine came in '77's, but not in '78's. So, would NHRA let you run a 350P in a '78 Bird ?

And the '79-'81 Birds looked almost identical, but had different engine options. So how about it ? Do any of you guys know, for sure, if NHRA will allow the engines to be used in these different year, but almost identical bodies ? If not, what if you swap the VIN tags ? Since you're not driving on a public highway, and the cars are virtually identical, with no performance advantage, is this allowable ?

This may seem like a completely ridiculous question. But some of these old bodies, in decent condition, are getting harder to find. So, the situation could easily arise where allowing these almost identical bodies to run a different year engine could save a Stock racer quite a few $$, without giving him a performance advantage.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 11:36 PM   #2
countrypuppy4865

Liked 183 Times in 62 Posts
Default Re: Year Model Question

Vin number doesn't matter as long as the car has the correct appearance as the year model claimed.
countrypuppy4865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 03:01 AM   #3
oldskool
VIP Member

Liked 750 Times in 361 Posts
Default Re: Year Model Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrypuppy4865 View Post

Vin number doesn't matter as long as the car has the correct appearance as the year model claimed.
OK. Thanks for the info ! It makes sense to me. Just didn't know if it did to NHRA or not.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote