HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds

Old 12-11-2020, 12:26 PM   #111
Stan Weiss

Liked 529 Times in 283 Posts
Default Re: Not for Nuthin' But Close!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
Tom, I know that dirt tracks can get really "sticky" but, as I'm sure that you know, it's nothing like a "glued concrete" starting line. And there's not much need for P/S on a drag strip. Taking off the P/S pump and laying it aside was worth .08.

I see they have made the P/S more efficient. In '64 it was worth .1 on my brothers '62 Olds.

Stan
Stan Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 08:15 PM   #112
Tom Meyer

Liked 298 Times in 104 Posts

Gm systems run a lot of pressure. When running a gm pump with a Mustang II rack you need to drop the pressure or you will blow the seals out of it. Borgesen makes a simple kit for this. Not to be confused with the flow reducers with a smaller hole in them. Gm also has a cold climate PS Fluid. I did not think it would slow the cars that much but your testing shows otherwise. Saturns have electric PS and have plate over pump hole, bolts rite on. I am told the VUE cams made more torque but they do not have the drive for PS. I have one if you want to try it. Tom

Last edited by Tom Meyer; 12-12-2020 at 12:50 PM.
Tom Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 10:22 PM   #113
JakeB23

Liked 16 Times in 3 Posts

Just FYI, due to this post, I have been convinced to build myself a dime rocket.. So it wasn’t for “Nuthin”.. Just letting you know!
JakeB23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 07:15 PM   #114
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,730 Times in 1,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeB23 View Post
Just FYI, due to this post, I have been convinced to build myself a dime rocket.. So it wasn’t for “Nuthin”.. Just letting you know!
Jake, you're making me cry in my tequila....Thank You!

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 10:41 PM   #115
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,418 Times in 1,683 Posts

Quote:
Great... Show us the details and progression, here.
Old 12-12-2020, 10:43 PM   #116
BigBlockBill

Liked 97 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
First of all and probably the most important, it will be VERY difficult to steer the car and I mean just driving it around the pits. It will slow you down and not just a little bit. If you break your welded spiders, you had better hope that you do it on the line otherwise you WILL be going for a "ride".
It's more of a when than a if you break a welded spider.
BigBlockBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 10:52 PM   #117
BigBlockBill

Liked 97 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Well, I guess that depends on what you consider progress. I'm pretty sure that we are done racing for the year. I've taken the cooling system apart to try and understand it so that I can come up with a way to cool it with some kind of an electric pump. A header is in the works. I have access to a trans with the best final drive ratio and I'll probably take the converter too. I haven't been able to find out much on converters yet but I haven't spent a lot of time looking. I'm sure that certain models will have different stall speeds based on weights and gear ratios. The engine has 120K miles on it and it is blowing a good amount of oil smoke and I'm being "pressured" to re-build or replace it (in my spare time).
I can't say enough how thankful I am for Doug Hoven taking some time to "play" with this project. Without him, I would be totally lost.
It would be awfully nice to see a hard-core Mopar Racer step up (in his spare time) and build a 2.0 Neon just to see how it's done. Same way, junkyard refugee, see what it'll do (the Cavalier will kick it's butt!).
It would also be nice to see someone get some later-model FFFords in the guide so that it could be seen how they would stack up.
For what it's worth........you can find a wealth of knowledge on the 2.0 Neons at some of the small paved oval tracks that run a fwd class. They were all the rage several years ago when I was helping a friend get back and forth to the track until the judge saw fit to reinstate his drivers license.
BigBlockBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 09:16 AM   #118
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 704 Times in 176 Posts

Quote:
Oh, no!! Another Billy-ite!! Or is that a Nees-or-ite?!? . . . and right here at Christmas!
Old 12-14-2020, 11:04 AM   #119
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Dwight, poke fun if you want but I haven't had this much fun since I was a teen and discovered girls!
I also haven't learned so much, so easy, since about the same time.
Doug and I went racing yesterday. I'll report back later.

Make tech "TECH" again!
Old 12-14-2020, 01:58 PM   #120
Billy Nees
VIP Member

We went to Cecil again yesterday. It was pretty foggy until about Noon and then the sun came out and it warmed up to a bit over 60* but it was still a bit on the damp side. I've been given my "walking papers" and am no longer the driver. The kid has taken over in that capacity too.
He made 6 runs. The first couple of runs were addressing some "issues" that we were having with the trans slipping into the gears when all of the torque management nannys were turned off. To begin with, he turned the torque management back on but has it removing only half of the timing that it was and he raised the line pressure a bit. And if I'm explaining any of this wrong, I'm sure that he'll be posting on here eventually.
First pass, with the engine pretty warm and just seeing how the shifts respond to the changes was a 15.28/88.16
Second pass, with the engine cooled down BUT with a "coming-and-going" gusty tail wind, 15.226/89.49.
Third pass, I removed a 22" long pipe that I put on the exhaust pipe when I cut the cat. converter off and it seemed to like that, 15.177/89.77.
Fourth pass, Doug took out a bit more fuel, 15.158/89.57.
Fifth pass, took out a bit more fuel, 15.130/89.43.
Last pass, we charged the battery and got the car really cooled down. Doug also took out some more fuel and for the last pass of the year, 15.085/ 89.88!
Over a half a second under with a totally stock, junk car! Of course it was with the help of HP Tuners and a 17 year old punk but hey.

Thanks for all of the support of the racers looking in here on ClassRacer!
I'm pretty sure that Doug will be looking in just in case there are any questions asked that I can't answer.

So my X-mas wish for this year is to see a few of these cars getting built. Of course you'll have to post the builds on here. I'd ALSO like to see somebody like Chris Hill drag home a JYD Neon and wring it out. Oh and will somebody get NHRA to put a 2000s FFFord Fiesta in the guide? Then there could be a 3-way "Junkyard Shootout"!

Thanks all!

Make tech "TECH" again!