HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-19-2008, 11:02 AM   #31
Jason Oldfield

Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jason Oldfield Send a message via MSN to Jason Oldfield Send a message via Yahoo to Jason Oldfield
Default Re: 2009 IHRA Championship Format Announced

Well said Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac View Post
Jason O. Didnt know you were an engineer. What scale is your railroad N or HO
N or HO. Pfffffffft. All aboard!

Old 11-19-2008, 04:59 PM   #32
luckydog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Skooter knows I have a couple of issues with the format, but I don't think it's possible to make it perfect for everyone. When I first read the proposed plan I was very much against everything about it. Then I read their reason behind doing it, and it made a lot of sense that a change is needed. Then Skooter adopted a few of my suggestions as well as others suggestions and made it a lot better. You have to give it to the IHRA, they are trying to make IHRA a better and, more importantly, perminant place to race. Being one of the racers who travels it does kinda suck, but I'm over it, it's time to move on. You have to look at the future of the sport and the fact that this should get more car to the track.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:20 PM   #33
sst3447

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The new format needs some adjustments ,I dont think going to one national and winning should give you the right to be eligable for world champ, TRY THIS to be eligable you must attend 4 in division races and finish in the top 3 in your division .or win a national event and attend 4 in division races no matter where you finish in your division to qualify you for the chance to run for the championship . Just my 2 cents
sst3447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:39 PM   #34
JJ3159

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree with the idea of having to race a min # of div races that would help with car counts at divisionals .one question i have is what happens if someone wins more than 1 national and finishes in the top 3 in the div ,will this be all open spots in the 33 car race in rockingham since you can only qulify once.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:51 PM   #35
mcaruso

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ3159 View Post
I agree with the idea of having to race a min # of div races that would help with car counts at divisionals .one question i have is what happens if someone wins more than 1 national and finishes in the top 3 in the div ,will this be all open spots in the 33 car race in rockingham since you can only qulify once.
Yes, those spots will be open/byes
mcaruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:57 PM   #36
JJ3159

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can see that as being a downfall.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:38 PM   #37
luckydog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaruso View Post
Yes, those spots will be open/byes
I may be wrong, but I don't think they will be byes, just less spots on the ladder. I think the ladder will be made up according to the number of cars in the race( I think). Also, all division champs have a first round bye.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:45 PM   #38
mcaruso

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
I may be wrong, but I don't think they will be byes, just less spots on the ladder. I think the ladder will be made up according to the number of cars in the race( I think). Also, all division champs have a first round bye.
That would make more sense. It's kinda vague they way it reads in the "open letter"
mcaruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:49 PM   #39
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Jason - a large number of World Champions have earned their title without winning their Division. There were about 8 such cases from 2003-2006 alone.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:22 PM   #40
Jason Oldfield

Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jason Oldfield Send a message via MSN to Jason Oldfield Send a message via Yahoo to Jason Oldfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Beard View Post
Jason - a large number of World Champions have earned their title without winning their Division. There were about 8 such cases from 2003-2006 alone.
Mike,

Under the previous format I am fine with that because the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP was based on your national score from multiple races from both the national and divisional level. With the new format, I am not because the person that finishes 3rd in the division could be somebody that never even went to a NATIONAL event (where theoretically the best of the best compete) or didn't do well enough to earn a spot in Rockingham

If the person NEVER raced out of their division, AND WASN'T good enough to win their division outright, why should that person have the right to race for the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP?!!?!? I can't think of a single sport where this would hold true.

Heck, even in high school sports you must first win the sectional championship before you advance to the state championship. They don't invite those teams that finish 2nd and 3rd.

The way it stands now it benefits me, but you'll NEVER convince me that the 2nd and 3rd place finishers in a division should be invited to race for the WORLD championship. That said, if I'm ever in that position (which is unlikely because I don't ever see me racing the required number of IHRA division events to finish in the top 3), I won't turn down my invite!