HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-26-2012, 09:47 AM   #31
Dan Bennett

Liked 442 Times in 100 Posts
Default Re: Old Race Parts and Pieces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lee View Post
AMC NASCAR cylinder heads
These have production casting number on them. These are unused, semi-finished as delivered. Ultra rare. I can't use them in Stock Eliminator but I can use them for Super Stock but it would take a lot of filling to have the proper specs. These will outflow & out perform modern Indy heads. You should pray I never have need to run these in SS!
Sorry, no pictures to share but a story I found pretty interesting.

Way back in my Pro Stock days, I had a conversation with Richard Maskin and was asking about the famous Hornet PS.

Remember that the head rules were pretty restrictive when the X was being raced; you had to use a stock head for at least your base but could cut and weld fairly freely.

I told Maskin I'd seen the heads at a race when they were running the valves in the pits and was amazed at the amount of work that had to have gone into them. I remember thinking these were Frankenheads for sure, with all the scars and welds.

He laughed and agreed that they were a total pain to create. But he was laughing because after the first pair or two, the heads weren't what they seemed. It turns out that since Maskin had access to a foundry, he decided just to have the heads poured in the altered configuration.

He told me that they had to do a LOT of work on the heads to reproduce the "welds", "cuts", and "modifications". Though they never got caught, he said he wasn't sure that he saved all that much time over chopping up factory heads.

Successful drag racers are always thinking.
Dan Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #32
BlueOval Ralph
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is nothing that hasn't been going on a long time there have been a bunch of Pro-Stock teams that had there own castings with the correct part number.

Heck when the 23 & 18 Deg small block Chebys were in NASCAR it was going on then.

Last edited by BlueOval Ralph; 03-26-2012 at 11:26 AM.
BlueOval Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:05 PM   #33
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts

I remember when Chrysler came out with the new W2 heads for small block mopars in the late 70's or early 80's, I thought that was pretty cool stuff back then...well after several more redesigns they eventually moved on to a newer design for the race motors.

Last edited by Hemi Moose; 03-29-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Hemi Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #34
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Old 04-05-2012, 07:41 PM   #35
tommycarl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

does anyone remember the autolite in-line 4 barrel. great idea that didn't catch on. any idea what one might be worth?
tommycarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #36
Liteweight
VIP Member

Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommycarl View Post
does anyone remember the autolite in-line 4 barrel. great idea that didn't catch on. any idea what one might be worth?
By the sounds of your post you must have one.
Care to share a picture of it.

liteweight
Liteweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #37
tommycarl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i wish i had one! the only one i ever saw was on a mustang at lebanon valley in the early 70's. i didn't realize they were nearly 1400 cfm.
tommycarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:10 AM   #38
chris3racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If anyone is interested in the in-line Ford Carbs send me a message. I have a friend who has two that were left over from a speed shop we had back in 1970's. In recent months he has talked about selling those. I will try to get a photo
chris3racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #39
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Quote:
To compete with the Chrysler Hemi in 1964, Ford secretly developed an overhead cam version of the high-performance FE block, the legendary 427 SOHC. Built by hand and designed for racing, it became known as the Cammer. Hemispherical chambers and overhead cams transformed the 427 into a serious powerplant. Factory ratings were 615 hp @ 7000 rpm with a single 4-barrel, and 657 hp @ 7500 with dual carburetors. The engine weighed 680 pounds.
Does anyone here know how many of these units Ford built?
Old 04-06-2012, 11:28 AM   #40
mannymen

Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts

Anyone have any pics of the experimental SBC with BBC heads. I saw a pic and article a long while back.