HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-15-2010, 10:04 PM   #1
silent.echo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Former Jr. thinking about making the jump to Class Racing

Hey guys!

A little about me: n00b here...well "n00b" to the forum, but not "n00b" to the sport. I'm 23. I've been drag racing for the last 15 years. The first person to guess which class I first raced in gets a tenth of a second added back to their index. After out-growing my first car, I moved into a Mazda Miata (my 16th birthday gift), and I've been bracket racing Miatas since, mostly at outlaw tracks. They're close and cheap to run at. What can I say? I want to start running in either Stock or Super Stock, but I'm having some trouble finding the information I need.

Try not to rip me a new one, but I've been looking all over the internet for the past week trying to get the answer to this. I haven't seen anything in the rules that would prohibit my car from Stock or Super Stock.

Details of my car: 1996 Mazda Miata, 1.8L I-4 (130 hp), 5-speed M/T, ship weight is 2360.

What index class applies to this car???

These cars have a LOT of potential. I would love the opportunity to class race it if possible.

Thanks in advance for any answers/help/advice/assistance in tearing out the engine...

silent.echo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
silent.echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:14 PM   #2
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 674 Times in 122 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Talking Re: Former Jr. thinking about making the jump to Class Racing

Mr. echo, this will be a short answer. In order for you to run a particular combo (1996 Mazda Miata, 1.8L I-4 (130 hp), 5-speed M/T, ship weight is 2360) in Stock or Super Stock it must be in the NHRA Classification guide. Your Mazda is not. Therefore if you wish to enter the world of Stock or Super Stock Class Racing you will have to pick a combo that is in the guide. Jim

http://www.nhra.com/competition/classification.aspx

Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:21 PM   #3
silent.echo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Former Jr. thinking about making the jump to Class Racing

well thank you very much. I wasn't aware there were ONLY certain combos. The way I read the rules, it sounded like that any car newer than a 1950 model was eligible.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:58 AM   #4
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Wink Re: Former Jr. thinking about making the jump to Class Racing

It used to say any 1960 or newer AMERICAN made car, but I think that changed as there is a Mitsubishi combo allowed. Only combos listed in the Guide are allowed. You can always write to NHRA and try to get them to add your combo to the list. Not an easy thing to do however. Jim
Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
Old 05-16-2010, 01:08 AM   #5
Alan Warman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Go ahead and make the jump you won't be sorry. Just don't wait as long as I did. My dad raced stock and superstock in the early 70's then moved to dirt track racing. I started racing motorcycles when I was about 9 or 10. Then as I got older went to cars never really liked the dirt cars. So by the time I was you age I wonted to go class racing. But every body I talked to would not give up any info or said it would cost 20.000 to 30.000 dollars. Now remember this is in the early 80's, so I went bracket racing for the next 30 years. So here I am now with a class car and as happy as I can be. People are a lot nicer these days and are willing to help out a newbe. I wish I had done it 30 years a go. But sometimes I think back about pitching a dirt car into the corners at a buck 20, that was a lot of fun. So good luck, and you have come to the right place for help.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:12 AM   #6
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Talking Re: Former Jr. thinking about making the jump to Class Racing

Just for grins, if your car was in the guide, I figured out it's natural class would be R/S with an index of 13.95. The current record in that class is 12.96 @ 101.80. Jim
Old 05-16-2010, 11:36 PM   #7
silent.echo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not attempting to get off-topic or anything, but would my vehicle be allowed to run in Comp Elim? I know for a fact there's a guy out there with the same base as me (1.8L block, 2360 ship weight) running 8.90s @ >150. Here it is. I don't have any trouble finding the index, I just spent a week trying to find the formula for indexing or the guide or however you figure a car in Q/S, R/S, or T/S. It's confusing and I'm in the process switching from 7.90-index racing and bracket racing. How do I find these formulas that tell you that a 2360 lb car with a 130-base engine with a 5-speed M/T runs in R/S?

Sorry if I rambled or came across as anything but nice, I did not mean either, but this whole process has been frustrating.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:42 AM   #8
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Thumbs up Re: Former Jr. thinking about making the jump to Class Racing

Comp is a whole other animal, and a lot more money! I have no experience in Comp. I did notice that was a turbo motor you referenced, yours is not a turbo.

Stock is a series of classes based on pounds per horse power. R/S is an 18 lb. class. Your horse power is 130 unless NHRA decides to factor it. 130hp X 18 = 2340lbs. Then you have to add 170 for the driver. Your minimum weight for R/S would be 2510lbs. You should get a rule book and read it. All this is explained in the book. All the indexes and records for the classes (Comp also) are in the National Dragster magazine which NHRA puts out every week. Jim
Old 05-17-2010, 01:00 AM   #9
silent.echo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

well thank ou very much for your assistance. I will have to check that stuff out. That's an aftermarket turbo on there. The engine was also a stadard 1.8, but is stroked to 2.0. Most of the stuff on that Miata is aftermarket.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:41 PM   #10
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

You know, you will never know until you ask. Contact the tech department at NHRA (tech@nhra.com) and ask them the procedure. Typically, the manufacturer has to submit an application with specifications to NHRA for inclusion in the guide. Although I doubt it would be allowed, they just might allow it. The first thing to know about Class racing is you need a "go get it" attitude.
Good luck!