Default 30 years ago at Indy

Interesting reading.

http://www.competitionplus.com/08_19_2004/sportsmen_fight.html
Crew Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:22 AM   #2
FrankChastain

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: 30 years ago at Indy

Brings back great memories of the days of Bob Callahan from Atlanta....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
FrankChastain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:18 PM   #3
Jason

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

I can't believe its been thirty years. Like they say, time marches on.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
MEMORIES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The sixth car in line in that photo, with the off-center hood scoop, is Cotton Perry from Ringgold, Georgia. Cotton won that race. I saw him race through the seventies at my home track, Brainerd Optimist Drag Strip, in Ringgold, Georgia. He was rarely beaten.

MEMORIES.
MEMORIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:26 PM   #5
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

I never did understand why NHRA did that. Around here we had more Modified cars than Comp cars. I would have expected Comp to go before Modified.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:48 AM   #6
PONTIAC'S REVENGE

Liked 49 Times in 19 Posts

Most people dont really realize or just forget what really happened in modified. It really was just was split in two. We had just finished our 69 TA in 1982. Marty Barrett said the split would be better as we had a break out class. It would give us a place to cut out teeth until we were ever fast enough to run with the big boys in Modified. We spent tons of 1982 dollars for the best stuff from the Pontiac camp and trying to learn.

What destroyed Modified for many was the alum SBC head being legalized at the same time. No one had anything for that! We had a 3450 lb 440 inch cast iron head 69 TA which was right on the mph record. We were learning how to hook that puppy! We used to call it, "Stacy turning on the spin cycle" (being the washer salesman)

However, Harold Stout's new 82 firebird with the 392 (I think) cu in SBC and alum heads at a much lighter weight bombed the record from 9.41 or so to about 8.92 in the flash of the pan. (Mike McKinney driving) It was a killer combo no large cubic inch engine could compete!

We were told that the alum heads was so much........a disadvantage yawn, but if we couldnt run with it.........build one! Our combo with cast iron heads and 440 inches was dead! It rusted in the cornfield for 20 years. Oh well rules change so we found something else to play, but not really quite as fun.

That is where we learned that racing has a big stroke of the pen and hard work with tons of money is sometimes marginal. So, we started working on some of those pen strokes for ourselves! I am so glad that many other brands have gotten into the picture like the Fords and Chryslers with those killer small blocks, but it did take awhile.

Lynn McCarty
Attached Images
File Type: bmp RAV modified.bmp (179.0 KB, 248 views)

Last edited by PONTIAC'S REVENGE; 08-15-2010 at 11:18 AM.
PONTIAC'S REVENGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:01 AM   #7
larrylomascolo

Liked 64 Times in 28 Posts

i was their that year and remember that ordeal,146 mods for a 48 qual, field wow,you could get real close to tree and see some tachs during qualifying for modified,that class planted spectators in their seats,what a shame,,,,,,,,,
larrylomascolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:03 AM   #8
A100

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I can't believe its been thirty years. Like they say, time marches on.

Seems more like 29 to me.
A100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:36 AM   #9
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,093 Times in 286 Posts

It was not just split into two classes. Some classes were eliminated, Cotton Perry's car was in one of them, and he couldn't just move to the next class or two up. Putting Modified cars that ran off their indexes into Super Stock with slower and more consistent automatic cars running off of dial ins made them uncompetitive. It also diluted the traditional Super Stock class, they just arbitrarily "stuck" some cars in Super Stock, none of them actually fit, nor were they in keeping with the spirit of the class. It was a truly stupid and short sighted decision.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:01 PM   #10
PONTIAC'S REVENGE

Liked 49 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich View Post
It was not just split into two classes. Some classes were eliminated, Cotton Perry's car was in one of them, and he couldn't just move to the next class or two up. Putting Modified cars that ran off their indexes into Super Stock with slower and more consistent automatic cars running off of dial ins made them uncompetitive. It also diluted the traditional Super Stock class, they just arbitrarily "stuck" some cars in Super Stock, none of them actually fit, nor were they in keeping with the spirit of the class. It was a truly stupid and short sighted decision.
Alan explain further cause I dont really get your point. As far as I knew it was all just weight per cubic inch. When you say eliminated was it like us just made obsolete?

Lynn
PONTIAC'S REVENGE is offline   Reply With Quote