HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-06-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 220 Times in 79 Posts
Default Did I make a mistake on my seat. illegal or not

I took my drivers seat apart and put a plastic tube through the bottom of the seat so that the "crotch" strap can go through it up from its mounting point to the cam lock. I figured this would be better than running around the front of the seat and then into the cam lock. I did not remove anything from the seat what so ever. I simply slit the cushon made a rectangular tube out of a piece of thin plastic pipe. Then I took it to my local upholstery shop to have it sewn in and finshed so it looked nice and professional. My thought was that if something ever happend it would hold me back in the seat instead of letting me slide down and forward before the "crotch" strap was able to do its job. Then the other day I was reading another thread that got off track and it was mentioned that this may in fact be illegal but noone ever commented on it again just that one post. If I screwed up and ruined a seat bottom let me know. I would rather throw it away than have something thats not right. My main goal it to make to the track with this one. my second is to be completly legal and third run the index or better. If I can do all that and I enjoy the travelling I will continue to try and get faster legally. I just dont want to show up at my first race with it and be told that its a bunch of illegal junk. Thank you for your opinions
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:37 AM   #2
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Did I make a mistake on my seat. illegal or not

I'mnot NHRA tech but my opinion you are fine. You have not done anything to make the seat lighter, you have only made it safer. And even if tech had a problem with it, it's not a punishible offense. It would be something you would need corrected to their satisfaction before your next race.
Now go race..!
Old 03-07-2012, 12:57 AM   #3
Terry Cain

Liked 224 Times in 103 Posts

Did something simular to the back of my drivers seat where straps go through (instead of over) seat. Never been anything said about it.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:20 AM   #4
JP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What you did should actually be mandatory!
JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:17 AM   #5
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,225 Times in 250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Petrie E395 View Post
I took my drivers seat apart and put a plastic tube through the bottom of the seat so that the "crotch" strap can go through it up from its mounting point to the cam lock. I figured this would be better than running around the front of the seat and then into the cam lock. I did not remove anything from the seat what so ever. I simply slit the cushon made a rectangular tube out of a piece of thin plastic pipe. Then I took it to my local upholstery shop to have it sewn in and finshed so it looked nice and professional. My thought was that if something ever happend it would hold me back in the seat instead of letting me slide down and forward before the "crotch" strap was able to do its job. Then the other day I was reading another thread that got off track and it was mentioned that this may in fact be illegal but noone ever commented on it again just that one post. If I screwed up and ruined a seat bottom let me know. I would rather throw it away than have something thats not right. My main goal it to make to the track with this one. my second is to be completly legal and third run the index or better. If I can do all that and I enjoy the travelling I will continue to try and get faster legally. I just dont want to show up at my first race with it and be told that its a bunch of illegal junk. Thank you for your opinions
I think you will see a lot of cars with that. We did that to our bench seat as well to allow the crotch strap to fit properly. It looks good and is safer. We re did our seat that way in 2000. I have not had any issues with it and I sure wouldn't expect any. If you are not sure, you can always e mail a picture to Div. 3 tech to get an official response. I think it is a good idea too.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:47 AM   #6
danny waters sr
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Did I make a mistake on my seat. illegal or not

seen a lot of cars pass tech similar to yours..in IHRA.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #7
Bill Belden

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Had an upolstery shop do mine almost looks like a factory job
Bill Belden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #8
Joe Martens

Liked 189 Times in 65 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Joe Martens

Mine has been like that for 10 years. You will be fine.