HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
96&98_camaro_z28

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Looking to build a super street class car

Ok guys I have 1998 camaro z28 with a ls1 and a 6 speed it will be a heads cam and full bolt on car by next year I want to run set with the car has any one used a newer ls motor in set for most of the track I'll be racing a it is 11.05 index car should run 10.50 all out i know I need to throttle stop the car to slow it down
96&98_camaro_z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:20 PM   #2
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 703 Times in 206 Posts
Default Re: Looking to build a super street class car

Technically , according to the NHRA rule book , active, timer controlled throttle stop equipped cars are supposed to dial their respective index's , ie 10.90, 9.90 ,8.90 , when bracket racing in Super ET.
I know of at least one LS powered dragster that runs in Super , and has also run in Super Comp.
You just need to program the fuel curve accordingly when the car is on the stop, not much different than a carb car.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
96&98_camaro_z28

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

my understanding is anything over 2000 feet above sea level is corrected altitude so the correction factor is in the dial in time my big concern is trying to figure out how to do a throttle stop on a LS style intake manifold
96&98_camaro_z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #4
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 703 Times in 206 Posts

Probably a small diameter linkage stop will work .
I would replace the OEM throttle cable with a Morse type cable , Fabricate a bracket for the manifold end to support the cable and connect to the throttle body with a pneumatic cylinder .
Try contacting Bob Phillips at Advanced Control Devices .
He has a number of different .90 stops , most are small diameter and short in overall length .
I'm assuming you no longer are using a drive by wire throttle body .
Old 11-04-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
RacingRicki
Sponsor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A linkage stop is the way to go like Tom says. Assuming of course you have linkage and a separate throttle position sensor (TPS). The TPS needs to know when the stop is on so that the ECU can change the fuel accordingly. If the TPS is hooked to the throttle body throttle plate shaft, it will get the signal right when the throttle stop kicks on.

Not sure how much tunability you have on the EFI system; but you may want to be able to adjust the amount of fuel while on the stop. Also if you are running it in closed loop you will have difficultly predicting performance because the ECU is adjusting based on temp, pressure, o2, etc. You would be better off to get the tune up right for the track you are at and run in open loop.