HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-18-2016, 08:49 PM   #1
willys-gasser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Over lenth m/h and trailer towing, questions

Towing to California for the Hot Rod Reunion from New Hampshire. My M/h is 40 foot and my trailer including tongue is 28 foot. It looks like most state are 65 foot combined length MAX. What are you guys doing(permits)? Thanks Kirk
willys-gasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:33 PM   #2
Bill Koski

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Over lenth m/h and trailer towing, questions

I've towed all over the country with a 40' pusher at 74.5' total length and never had a problem other then EXTRA toll on the Ohio turnpike.
Though I did boycott the "fruits and nuts" state permanently a few years ago.

Last edited by Bill Koski; 09-18-2016 at 10:36 PM.
Bill Koski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:02 AM   #3
Greg Gay

Liked 241 Times in 55 Posts

Kirk,

Nebraska will only allow vehicles registered as motorhomes up to 65' long, and with 3 scales across the State, you would likely get caught. However, I suspect you will go the southern route, and not go through NE.

California only enforces the 65' rule on tractor trailers "off the interstate and other approved routes". If you use the fuel stops just off the interstate, and go directly to the track, I suspect you won't have a problem, unless an officer decides to stake out the track for that particular race.

Some of this information could be a bit old, so I'd suggest you still do your homework. Good luck out there.

Greg
Greg Gay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:15 AM   #4
Jimbo17

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

A friend of mine took his companies 40 Freight-liner Motor-home and 30' foot tag stacker trailer from Florida to Calif and then to Lake George, New York and back without any problems with being to long. It's registered as a motor-home here in Florida.

The trailer even had the company logo on the complete side of the stacker trailer which I thought made it a commercial truck which would need a driver with a CDL license!!!!

He did not have a CDL license and we had a long talk before he left about the 65' rule and his boss said to him just take the company credit card in case you have a problem which he did.

I find it weird because of guys I know have gotten pulled over and fined so why some people manage to do it without getting fined is beyond me.

Maybe when they are busy with semi's they over look other trailers.

Jim Hill
Jimbo17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:21 PM   #5
Tom Turner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There is no "permit" in Calif to make your setup "legal" cuz it isn't; but there is a way to stay out of trouble while towing in The Fruits and Nuts state.
1. The CHP cruiser cop does not want to stop you; DO NOT GIVE HIM A REASON TO DO SO.! Speed limit is 55 and has very little fudge factor. Getting stopped for speeding or equipment violations will probably come with a measurement. (very bad)
2 The cop you want to avoid is the "MRE" (mobile road enforcement). These guys usually stay fairly close to the scales and their sole purpose in life is to harass the truckers. They drive small pickups and suv's and tend to be pretty inflexable. The good news is that they work days only; no night shift, no weekends so if you are rolling in Calif after 5pm or on Sat or Sunday you probably won't see them but any weekday around a big scale is dangerous ground. Remember that you do not have to stop at the scales in Calif; they don't want you there.
3 I think it helps if your rig is clean and devoid of commercial graphics; BTW, Nevada has a required permit if you have big ads on your rig. More BS.
Tom Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:49 PM   #6
Mike Gray

Liked 565 Times in 148 Posts

California does issue permits

http://www.dot.ca.gov/trafficops/permits/motorhome.html
Mike Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:47 PM   #7
Tom Turner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

News to me Mike....I stand corrected...TT
Tom Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:12 AM   #8
willys-gasser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the information. I have talked to Ca about the permit and have it in the works.
willys-gasser is offline   Reply With Quote