HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-07-2016, 05:23 PM   #1
Jack Matyas
Live Reporter

Liked 1,670 Times in 341 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jack Matyas
Question Just when I thought I've seen it all ........

Hi kids - Yeah, I know I've been a little quiet lately but I did manage to get out racing over the weekend at Mason-Dixon Dragway for the two day Stock-SuperStock combo meet. For most of us Easterners this is the last hurrah for us and the weatherman didn't disappoint as he served up temps near 70 and sunshine both days.

Now I've been doing this drag race thing for more years than I care to remember but it's starting to get carried away. For a very long time Stock meant Stock and ten years ago the 'new' cars came along and I for one can deal with change. But this weekend was a little more than even I can handle . Yes ,Stock - SuperStock associations have been around a long time and for awhile they were exactly that - having only cars running Stock and S/S in the NHRA. Then came groups that allowed IHRA members to participate. Then came along the 'crate motor' racers and after them it was the NSS cars ( nostalgia SuperStocks) that jumped in. And even after that the 'pure stockers' joined in. But this past weekend brought another new group to Stock - SuperStock combo racing - I saw it with my own eyes and if my camera wouldn't have failed I'd have pictures ( they are on the Mason-Dixon website ) - Yep, a real 1965 Dodge 2 door altered wheelbase with the full treatment fuel injection pipes out the hood - that's right - a real A/FX car running Stock - SuperStock combo with us !

Have we gone too far ??????

Last edited by Jack Matyas; 11-07-2016 at 05:56 PM.
Jack Matyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:35 PM   #2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Just when I thought I've seen it all ........

Out here, a combo is just a no E bracket race, dial to dial. Sure hope you followed that FX car up for the first round. Stock as you want to remember it died after the first one needed a chassis cert. Now it is all about the money, the class win and the mini gold man. Those still in on Sunday are the real racers.
7423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:11 PM   #3
blkjack

Liked 52 Times in 17 Posts

If it was a Super Stock tractor. Mike would take their money.
blkjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:57 PM   #4
Doug Walker
Photographer

Liked 2,673 Times in 263 Posts

I think you are speaking of this car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	954A1134.jpg
Views:	711
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	37637  
Doug Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:26 PM   #5
MFR440

Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Walker View Post
I think you are speaking of this car.
That car is more stock than most "stockers" today! Anybody who would complain about that awesome car lining up next to him, is in the wrong sport! How cool!!
1962 Plymouth Fury S/ST #3384 - Race in Peace, Craig Meyer
MFR440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 01:18 AM   #6
Everett Vassar

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have often wondered about those stk super/stk combo races. I guess they don't have them around here. Is it basically just a name? Are there class run offs inspections,etc? Or just a bracket race?
Everett Vassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 04:06 AM   #7
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 237 Times in 127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett Vassar View Post
I have often wondered about those stk super/stk combo races. I guess they don't have them around here. Is it basically just a name? Are there class run offs inspections,etc? Or just a bracket race?
Up here in the Northwest, a Stock/Super Stock Combo is a bracket race restricted to NHRA classified Stock and Super Stock cars. Kinda like a muscle car party. Jim Storms and James Boyce have organized a combo series for several years, mostly run at Pacific Raceways. Jody Lang, Brad Burton, Brian Seaburg, Tommy Gaynor...pushovers like that. Great fun.

No funny cars allowed...

Dale
Old 11-08-2016, 06:57 AM   #8
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,234 Times in 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Matyas View Post
Hi kids - Yeah, I know I've been a little quiet lately but I did manage to get out racing over the weekend at Mason-Dixon Dragway for the two day Stock-SuperStock combo meet. For most of us Easterners this is the last hurrah for us and the weatherman didn't disappoint as he served up temps near 70 and sunshine both days.

Now I've been doing this drag race thing for more years than I care to remember but it's starting to get carried away. For a very long time Stock meant Stock and ten years ago the 'new' cars came along and I for one can deal with change. But this weekend was a little more than even I can handle . Yes ,Stock - SuperStock associations have been around a long time and for awhile they were exactly that - having only cars running Stock and S/S in the NHRA. Then came groups that allowed IHRA members to participate. Then came along the 'crate motor' racers and after them it was the NSS cars ( nostalgia SuperStocks) that jumped in. And even after that the 'pure stockers' joined in. But this past weekend brought another new group to Stock - SuperStock combo racing - I saw it with my own eyes and if my camera wouldn't have failed I'd have pictures ( they are on the Mason-Dixon website ) - Yep, a real 1965 Dodge 2 door altered wheelbase with the full treatment fuel injection pipes out the hood - that's right - a real A/FX car running Stock - SuperStock combo with us !

Have we gone too far ??????
We have stuck by the NHRA and IHRA rules in our combos and let both participate. I thought it was crazy to let the AFX car in, but then I thought, heck, it is probably closer to any of the new paper cars like copos Dragpaks and CJs, just a retro model. Think up a really soft hp rating to assign to it and we have a class! LOL
Old 11-08-2016, 08:00 AM   #9
Marc LaBrecque

Liked 396 Times in 102 Posts

Up here in Div 1 we've had the ASRA for better than 30 years .We follow NHRA rules however let IHRA cars run also. We weigh cars and do have heads up 's . We just try to keep it in the spirit of sportsmen class Racing . Typically we see 50 plus racers at one of our deals it's a blast By the way I was at Mason Dixon and it was fun and that A/FX car, really cool.
Marc
Marc LaBrecque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:17 AM   #10
Bobby Fazio
VIP Member

Liked 3,581 Times in 434 Posts

Combo races are unfair to begin with. I don't think anyone would have a combo race involving two categories with such different rule restrictions if they could get respectable car counts in each of the categories. You have footbrake stockers with limited engine and suspension mods going against transbrake, air-shifted super stockers with engine and suspension mods. An A/FX car at a combo race is the least of our worries and although a cool looking car, I don't think he made it out of first round.