HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-27-2020, 09:43 PM   #1
tbenvie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 1969 Hurst Super Stock AMC AMX

I joined this forum many years ago searching for information. on these cars as I was compiling the research I had done since they were about new into a website (www.superstockamx.com). I am happy to say I did receive a lot of information to help identify and clarify info on these cars. So I would like to give an update:

There were 52 of these cars with consecutive VINs, all white/charcoal interior 390 4speeds with posi rear and four wheel drum brakes. They were regular production cars except there was no undercoating or heater assy, and no optional PS, PB, radio, etc. These cars were sent to Hurst to be modified inti Super Stock AMXs. Fifty orders were needed prior to the program beginning, and 52 were received. AMC had built a prototype car to show its potential to AMC brass and enthusiast publications. Under the direction of HL Shahan, the cars had the heads modified by Crane, an Edelbrock STR-11 (Street Tunnel Ram) dual quad intake with Holley 580 carbs and Velocity stacks. Domed pistons but stock bore and stroke. A mallory dual point distributor and coil were added, as was a set of headers. The clutch and pressure plate, steel bellhousing and a reconfigured Hurst Shifter plus Henrys axles and modified rear springs. Some items such as hood springs and latches, one horn, brackets, etc were removed. A steel hood scoop with four hood pins finished the package. The cam was stock and left up to the racer to determine what they wanted. No deep oil pan or driveshaft loop. No acid dipped parts. Completely stock interior. The rear wheelwells were supposed to be opened up but only a few were done-a bulletin was sent out to show how to do it. Shahan developed a three piece drop-out crossmember, but it was nixed and only Car #1 sent to Drag-On Lady Shirley Shahan came so equipped. The rear had 4.44 gears, but later a set of 5.00 gears were sent to the owners. The cars were solid white, but a red, white, blue paint job was available. Just under half had the tri color paint.A list with the dealer/owner names was compiled to send to the NHRA to prove the required 50 were produced, but alas, no VINs on the list.

For 1970 the AMX had a facelift, so AMC sent all the owners a kit (fit int he back of a pick-up) with new hood, grill, front bumper, ram air ductwork (aluminum, not stock), front and rear marker lights, taillight panel with tallights and quarter extensions, plus a complete dash, door panels, seats and believe it or not, a new VIN complete with paperwork and owners ID cars reflecting the new VIN. Most of the cars were converted, but when they showed up at the track the NHRA said "No way" (the 70 AMX also had a complete suspension change, not just cosmetics). Most of the cars were converted back (though many kept the 70 taillights) though some owners decided to no longer race class so didn't change back. A few even pulled the AMC 390 and added a BBC instead. AMC published a complete owners list along with the new assigned VIN.

The cars were very successful, winning numerous NHGRA events and local races. By 1975 most of them were relegated to local track use and fell out of the national limelight.

When I began searching in the late 70s there were still some at the tracks, some sitting in fields, some at local car lots as old race cars or even with smaller engines and driven on the street. I found about half the cars without a problem. Over the years more showed up, and believe it or not, in the last year two more "Lost" cars emerged. Currently there are only six missing or unaccounted cars. Three have been confirmed as destroyed, one by fire, one accident, and one scrapped. I am looking for the following cars or information on these cars:

"Uncle Sam"-raced successfully in the south west. Last seen in Albuquerque, New Mexico, early 80s. Bought by the owner of a Jeep Monster Truck called "The Moose".

"Chucks Luck" and "Americanizer"-raced out of Louisiana, last seen in Mississippi in the mid 80s.

"Green Motors" or "Pappys Pride". Owned and raced by Bud Green of Green's Rambler Sales and Service Penns Grove, NJ. Missing in early 70s, but a number of people have stated they have seen the car in a garage in the Bronx area.

"Stowe Engineering" out of Hicksville, NY. last seen in about 1971 at the dealership. Dealer stated he wanted out of racing and sold it.

"MacDonald Rambler, LTD"-stolen from dealership when it was about six months old and never seen again.

"Heart O'Texas Motors". Owned by a dealership in Waco, TX. Zero info on anything about this car.

I would love to hear anything about these cars. Someone must know something about them!

Thanks for any help.
tbenvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:40 PM   #2
Ok stocker

Liked 101 Times in 24 Posts
Default Re: 1969 Hurst Super Stock AMC AMX

The Waco Texas dealership was owned by a man named Proffit. He had a son named Gary who lives in the DFW area. Not sure if it is the same car but Gary had an AMX he races for awhile. I helped him work on the car some. Don’t know if that helps but if anyone knows anything it would be Gary.
Ok stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 04:40 AM   #3
Terry Cain

Liked 224 Times in 103 Posts

Herman Lewis out of Beckley W VA raced one for years and years.
Old 08-28-2020, 09:13 AM   #4
Ralph A Powell

Liked 202 Times in 123 Posts

Vitatoe Motors in Kokomo, In had Ezra and his brother John ran that car.
Ralph A Powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 08-28-2020, 09:22 PM   #5
tbenvie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies. The Beachy Bros car is still around and is in PA. Herman Lewis and Ab Adkins raced int he Super Stock class, but the cars were not one of the 53 made. Here is the info for Heart O'Texas Motors:

Mr. Jackson Burch
Heart O'Texas Motors, Inc
645 N. Valley Hills Drive
Waco, Texas 67610

The dealership was sold to Jack Keyes in late 69, then in 1974 taken over by AMC.

Gene Proffitt AMC was in Corsicana, TX

Thanks for the replies
Old 08-29-2020, 06:41 AM   #6
gmonde

Liked 166 Times in 59 Posts

I was in Nebraska last year and went to classic car museum in kearny, there was a real ss/amx petes patriot was display
Also there was a dealership in kearny as well that campaigned several amcs
I will post a couple pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190915_131405_1598797428707_resized (2).jpg
Views:	371
Size:	247.0 KB
ID:	55427   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190915_131251_1598797430199_resized (2).jpg
Views:	227
Size:	279.1 KB
ID:	55428  

Last edited by gmonde; 08-30-2020 at 10:44 AM.
gmonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-19-2022, 03:53 PM   #7
watt340

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbenvie View Post
Thanks for the replies. The Beachy Bros car is still around and is in PA. Herman Lewis and Ab Adkins raced int he Super Stock class, but the cars were not one of the 53 made. Here is the info for Heart O'Texas Motors:

Mr. Jackson Burch
Heart O'Texas Motors, Inc
645 N. Valley Hills Drive
Waco, Texas 67610

The dealership was sold to Jack Keyes in late 69, then in 1974 taken over by AMC.

Gene Proffitt AMC was in Corsicana, TX

Thanks for the replies
My boss is the son of the late John Beachy who drove the Ray-Wel Motors AMX. It would be cool to know who the current owner of the car is to get them connected.

Super Stock AMX .com - Beachy Brothers
http://superstockamx.com/page68.php
watt340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 05:11 PM   #8
tbenvie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by watt340 View Post
My boss is the son of the late John Beachy who drove the Ray-Wel Motors AMX. It would be cool to know who the current owner of the car is to get them connected.

Super Stock AMX .com - Beachy Brothers
http://superstockamx.com/page68.php

Send me the email and I will forward it to the current owner f the car. It has been painted and lettered like when Beachy had it
Old 02-19-2022, 06:24 PM   #9
jimmyparker

Liked 225 Times in 71 Posts

Buddy Belzer from Rapid City, SD just restored the George Warren #6 car and is currently looking for the former Les Kinney clone car. George was from Phenix City, Al and Les was from Albany, Ga. I posted more info in the nostalgia section. George's car was always white but Buddy had it painted in the red, white, and blue livery per several of the original cars.

I had the opportunity to drive George's car at a few races and these cars were fun to drive.
Jimmy Parker
jimmyparker is offline   Reply With Quote