HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-27-2022, 11:05 AM   #1
Markeracer

Liked 69 Times in 28 Posts
Default Jeg’s Sold

Will this impact the company that has been so good to the Sportsman racer?

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...ytMtMAjq-_ToJ8
Markeracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 12:32 PM   #2

Liked 928 Times in 241 Posts
Default Re: Jeg’s Sold

Only time will tell, but I would be afraid the main concern would be making shareholders the most on their investment as possible. And my guess is they aren't racers, and could care less about racing, just making money. Sort of the opposite of what most Jegs customers are about, if we were about building our portfolio, Sportsman racing wouldn't be part of it.
Hope I am wrong

1342 SS/GT
1347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 01:28 PM   #3
otnipecar

Liked 64 Times in 29 Posts
Lightbulb Re: Jeg’s Sold

Maybe that is why I am getting around 4 of their Deals emails daily now. Time to unsubscribe...
Old 02-27-2022, 05:35 PM   #4
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Liked 2,132 Times in 781 Posts

Jeg the man should be worshiped by his family for creating this windfall. He is a visionary at the highest level. This is another Drag Racing success story not unlike Edelbrock, Holley, Hooker and Iskenderian.
Frank Castros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 07:23 PM   #5
B Parker

Liked 2,315 Times in 455 Posts

As a past owner of several businesses, it's always the bottom line that is the most important part of your business. How you achieve that is by taking care of your customers. Sportsman racers may not own Stock of Greenbriar but we are a large customer base. I wouldn't think much would change. Just my opinion. BP
B Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 11:01 PM   #6
CMcAllister

Liked 759 Times in 210 Posts

Well I don't know. Selling out to an equity firm has worked so well for all the racers and customers of these other iconic performance companies.

What could go wrong?
CMcAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 11:58 PM   #7
SDT1DYI

Liked 396 Times in 126 Posts

One thing for sure that will happen is Jegs will change. Either good or bad, depends on ones position.
The employees most likely will be starting over with new hire dates. The name will change to Jegs LLC DBA as Jegs.com or something similar.
Historical Private Equity loses approximately 60% of the company's existing employees in the first 6-12 months.
As I started with, its going to change.

Steve Teeter STK/SS 620
SDT1DYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 12:15 AM   #8
Shadylane

Liked 119 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMcAllister View Post
Well I don't know. Selling out to an equity firm has worked so well for all the racers and customers of these other iconic performance companies.

What could go wrong?
Well I can tell you about an experience I had getting my QuickTime/Holley bellhousing re-certified, not so great. Short of it all, I was told they couldn’t certify my Stocker 302, 2 barrel, 6000 rpm bellhousing to 6.1w it had to be to 6.3! This is after I sent it to them and gave them my $175. What? So send it back and I’ll find someone else to do it. They returned it to the wrong zip code, 200 miles away. After two weeks of talking and tracking it down I finally found someone who knew what he was talking about, and guess what, they really could certify it after all. Took almost a month for all this to happen and I finally got it back, re-certified.
The first time I sent it to QuickTime (pre Holley) no issues turned it around in 10 days. Oh and I asked the tech if I could get his phone extension so I didn’t have to keep calling and going through all the prompts wasting at a minimum of 15 minutes each call. Nope against company policy!
Can you tell I’m still mad about it?
Old 02-28-2022, 11:55 AM   #9
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 944 Times in 260 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadylane View Post
Well I can tell you about an experience I had getting my QuickTime/Holley bellhousing re-certified, not so great. Short of it all, I was told they couldn’t certify my Stocker 302, 2 barrel, 6000 rpm bellhousing to 6.1w it had to be to 6.3! This is after I sent it to them and gave them my $175. What? So send it back and I’ll find someone else to do it. They returned it to the wrong zip code, 200 miles away. After two weeks of talking and tracking it down I finally found someone who knew what he was talking about, and guess what, they really could certify it after all. Took almost a month for all this to happen and I finally got it back, re-certified.
The first time I sent it to QuickTime (pre Holley) no issues turned it around in 10 days. Oh and I asked the tech if I could get his phone extension so I didn’t have to keep calling and going through all the prompts wasting at a minimum of 15 minutes each call. Nope against company policy!
Can you tell I’m still mad about it?
In addition to Kelly`s fiasco, when Quicktime got bought out by Lakewood, many of Lakewoods scattershields , as well as some of Quicktimes slower movers were discontinued. The 390-428 Ford FE Lakewood has been dropped, and the Quicktime model, for some strange reason, was designed around the use of a shorter diaphragm pressure plates, so to make a Long style clutch fit (like every OE FE powered Ford car came with from the factory), requires stacking block plates to make it work. I don`t know if Tim Hyatt (RIP) ,recertified Quicktime bellhousings, but over the years, I had him recert my Lakewood and McLeod bells at his trailer at the NHRA National events. Anybody aware of any independent places that can do the recerts?
Old 02-28-2022, 12:15 PM   #10
Detroit Bob

Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

I don't believe anything good can come from this. The Coughlin family are racers and business people. Private equity is just money.
Art Van was a large furniture chain started in the Detroit Area 40 years ago.
The principal dies, the wife and kids sell the firm off to private equity. Which in turn loaded it with debt. 2 years later poof, liquidated. Gone!
Private equity will run over their mothers and grandmothers to make a dollar.