CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Advice on brake lines (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=84127)

David Lee 02-04-2023 02:57 PM

Advice on brake lines

I am trying to plumb my brake system using steel line. I need a dependable double flaring tool. the ones that are available at most automotive rental are hit and miss. i tried the Triton tool and cound not get anything close to a double flare.

what would you recommend

thanks

David

L.Fite 02-04-2023 03:54 PM

Re: Advice on brake lines

Imperial Eastman...
If they are still around.
Or Snap-On... (I believe these were made by Imperial back in the day)
I have the Snap-On set for 45* double and the Imperial Eastman for 37*
Hope this helps...

4speedracer 02-04-2023 03:56 PM

Master cool 71475

pmrphil 02-04-2023 04:54 PM

Like he said above, Mastercool hydraulic flaring tool, hands down. You'll never go back to a manual flaring tool.

Paul Precht 02-04-2023 05:18 PM

Mastercool makes brake lines an enjoyable job.

David Lee 02-04-2023 07:10 PM

thanks for all the help, a master cool will be here on tuesday

Tom Meyer 02-04-2023 09:05 PM

I would recommend copper nickel brake line, bends easy flares great and does not rust. Just got done with my car and it turned out nice. Tom

Mark Yacavone 02-04-2023 11:04 PM

A K-D will work. You have to squeeze it in a vise as close as you can to where the threaded clamp goes on .
If you let it slip, it takes out the serrations in the bar.

CMcAllister 02-05-2023 12:07 AM

The auto parts store tools are awful. That style of tool is okay, IF you get a quality one.

I have that big Mastercool set. It does a great job. Like any tool, you have to use it a few times to get comfortable with it. It does a lot of different types of flares - bubble, push loc, A/C. Probably overkill if you are just doing straight flares, or inverted flares. They do smaller sets with the hydraulic tool and just the adapters you'll likely need.

I have had guys tell me the Eastwood tool works great, never used one so I can't say.

If you are doing AN type fittings, you'll need to get the 37 degree tooling to do it right as opposed to cheating it with the 45 degree stuff.

I like to use the "Bundyflex" zinc plated steel tubing. Comes in 25' rolls. It's harder than the CuNi stuff, will hold it's shape better and should be bent with tools. The green coated tubing is miserable to flare and also too soft.

David Lee 02-05-2023 12:49 AM

is 37 degree with just plain steel lines safe?