Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-09-2009, 02:15 PM   #21
treessavoy
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: Buying a used race car vs building own

Quote:
Originally Posted by njk53 View Post
I'd suggest buying one that is already built. There are a lot of good competetive race cars out there at a decent price. You will spend way more money building a new one than you thought you would.

If you buy a used one be prepared to spend some money to make it the way you want it.

You will spend 2-3 years building a new car vs. getting on the track the same year if you buy an existing car.

Try to buy a car that is currently running in NHRA/IHRA. Go to the track and ask his competetors about the car. You will be surprised how much they know about someone elses car.

Ask for doccumentation regarding all of the things the seller said he has done to the car. Ask for time slips to review the cars performance.

Check the structural integrity of the entire vehicle including the roll cage. It is most important from a safety and performance factor.

Ask when the engine, trans, and rear gear has been last freshened if at all, and who did the work.

Ask the age of all other related items like the fuel system, axles, shocks, springs, u-joints, etc. Some of this stuff may have to be replaced.

Take a couple of knowledgeable buddies with you to look the car over. The more eyes the better.

Don't fall in love with the first car you find. Look at a lot of prospects and ask a lot of questions. Take notes on the details, your memory isn't as good as you think it is.

There are a lot more things to look for beyond what is listed above, maybe someone else can give their opinion.

Good Luck

Exactly!

In building my car I ended up $20,000.00 over expected budget.

If you buy one running be sure to get the engine spec's, cam, springs, timing, ring type, etc. nothing is worse than not knowing the clearances and trying to set the valves without knowing the gap for that cam shaft.

Good luck, see you at the track.

JimR
Old 12-10-2009, 12:24 AM   #22
Geerhead55
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Wink Re: Buying a used race car vs building own

Doglover,,,,,,,,go to www.racingjunk.com type in Corvette. There are several pages of them,,,,,many C-3s, in various states of completion, from bare chassis to turn key race cars. Maybe what you're looking for is in there,,,,I bought my Nova off that site, turn key, a few years back. Sure, I had to change some things I did'nt care for on it, but a good investment I've always thought. I got friends that have bought from that site also and no problems. Just make sure you ask ALL the questions to be as completely informed as possible before making your decision. Good luck in your search,,,,,Danny Durham
Geerhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote