HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 09:00 PM   #71
SG316V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Is it time to fix Super Class Racing?

This is just my observation of the fans; the casual fan is just there to watch the nitro cars anyway, and to get as close to those guys as possible when they are not on the track. They dont care about Pro Stock, Pro Mod, or the bikes so why would they want to watch any "slow" sportsman classes regardless of the format when they have just seen: cars going 300 mph, header flames 4 ft in the air, stuff blowing up left and right, and having it feel like an earthquake every pair of cars. Then they can follow them back to the pits and be 10 feet away while they service the car...

I realize not everyone is like this and there are people who go to watch the sportsman cars, I am one of them when I am not racing.

I think the "90" classes are fine the way they are and don't need "fixed". I am pretty sure that every D3 race I have been at for the last 3 years has had the largest car count in either S/C or S/G... Could be a different story in other areas? I think a more balanced entry fee vs payout would be great especially when you can routinely go to a local track, pay 1/3 the entry fee, win $1000-$1200, and not have to be there for 3 days.

Ok, I'll shut up now... just offering my $.02
Old 08-22-2010, 09:14 PM   #72
Chris Williams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Mahaffey View Post
It's like watching a baseball player bunt the ball, fans don't want to see that. They want to see it go over the fence. Yes, bunting is a strategic move to advance the runners, but hit it over the fence and they'll be on their feet cheering. That's what they're paying for!
Anyone who knows baseball well knows that a bunt is often a key part of a good game, and will cheer a good bunt or squeeze play as much as a home run. Just as in drag racing, the racers and dedicated fans realize that some of the toughest racing in the sport is in the Super classes.

And, FWIW, I don't care what the size of anyone's Johnson is.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:02 AM   #73
Wade Mahaffey

Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts

Chris, I feel your passion for the way it is. I did the S/G thing for five seasons, and loved all of it. Did not care if anyone was watching or not. It was me against my opponent, and no one else was there. I also raced on Sundays at the Nationals when the place was full. I did like racing in front of the big crowd, more than no crowd. It was the same as taking out a hitter or former world champion. Just more exiting or more favorable I guess you would say. Now don't get me wrong, I would have gone to the race even if there were no spectators at all. But I think the National Event racer (most) think it is the big show, and it takes them to another level of enjoyment. I loved it, and would like to see many others get a chance to enjoy it as well. That's why I am always in favor of lowering the cost, so more could afford to come into the sport/class. You stated that S/C was begining to dwindle in your area, and folks were moving into T/D to go fast. That should serve as your wake up to the fact that folks are not happy in S/C. Car count down + fan count down = trouble around the corner!

Brad has a very good point about the folks that come to see the big dogs, affecting Super Class fans. But remember, that is only at National Events. I would like to see the Super Class racers enjoy the top dog status at smaller and/or local events. But you must have a fan base! You must have an entertianment product to sell them! They're your classes, it's up to you to save them!

Wade Mahaffey

Last edited by Wade Mahaffey; 08-23-2010 at 09:11 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:28 AM   #74
Chris Williams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Mahaffey View Post
Chris, I feel your passion for the way it is.
Wade, it seems that you aren't reading the whole thread. I fully acknowledge and am concerned about dwindling participation, and I've made several suggestions on ways to improve the Super classes, including one proposal to abandon them all together in favor of a ladder of bracket classes.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:07 AM   #75
Bill Baer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pinkston View Post
When all these proposed changes take place and the fans actually stay in the stands to watch .90 classes will we get to race without paying entry-fees like the Pro classes do?

Just a thought.
Joe originally I purposed one relatively simple inexpensive change which I believe would make Super Class racing less expensive and present a better race to the spectators.
But as long as we are lining up (in substantial numbers in the midwest) to do business with them I don't see any reason why the NHRA would consider changing the payout. From what I'm reading on the internet the NHRA may not be in the black for last year or the year before.
I/We need the NHRA to survive and make a profit so we have a place to race. So I don;t see anything changing with entry-fees or the payout.
And based upon what I've been reading on this thread the majority of super class racers don't want any changes and those who do can't reach a consensus on how or what to change.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:46 PM   #76
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 703 Times in 206 Posts

How come most of the people who want to " fix " the Super Classes usually don't compete in them ? ........I respect your opinions,but NHRA had the oppertunity to change the classes many years ago, but chose to let it grow into what it is today..............My car runs well over 160 with an engine that cost under 11k,with quality parts. ...,you dont really have to spend big money unless you want to.....My 20 year old mule 468" cost way more than that in todays dollars ,and has 200 less HP, it can run .90 after .90,but is no where near as reliable as the bigger motor. ................HP just costs less with todays parts and technology...We have better engine technology available to Super Class racers today than Pro Stock had only 10 or 15 years ago!..........Nothing We,or the NHRA do to change the .90 classes will make them any more appealing to the average spectator..........only a hand full of hardcore spectators stay to watch S/SS .Alcohol,or even Comp,which is even more confusing to the spectator,since hardly any of them ever finish a race with two cars under power past the 1000' mark!.....My .02cents,...Tom
Old 08-23-2010, 04:22 PM   #77
cicero819
VIP Member

Liked 68 Times in 29 Posts

Tom, I don't have a Super Gas but was involved with the building of three cars in it's beginning, maybe I missed the boat and it has sail away but I still want to enjoy watching it. I hope that I'm wrong and you're right and nothing needs to be changed but I'd hate to see your class replaced by easy street. CR
Old 08-23-2010, 04:38 PM   #78
hotrodgeno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How many of you think NHRA or IHRA want's the fan's to get a seat in the morning and stay there all day.
I bet they make more money on food and shirt's while the sportsman classes are running than anyother time.
I love Super Class Racing.
The Guys that are Winning are not complaining.
The Guys complaining are not winning. Most of the time.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:06 PM   #79
EricArrow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I really don't see an issue as far as the racers go...Yes the fans hate Super Class racing...oh well...would be nice if they were in the stands but so be it. I have no issues with the MPH either...and I'm just under 150 in SR so I'm chased 90% of the time.

I'll tell you one thing...I get a special satisfaction when I trailer a car that cost more for the chassis than my whole race program...trailer and motorhome included.....After all.....the object is to cut a light and run a .90 ....not do it at warp speed.......feels good backing into a 170 S/R car now and again too....
Old 08-23-2010, 06:34 PM   #80
Joe Pinkston

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Bill, I hope you saw the sarcasm in my last statement.

I think Tom said it best when he said that .90 classes will never appeal to the average spectator. I believe you could include all sportsman classes from Comp on down in that statement. Several years ago before NHRA ran the national events on such a tight schedule for the sake of the TV contracts, I met with a group of friends from south Fla. to have breakfast before going out to the Gatornationals on a Sunday. Back then sportsman classes always got in a few rounds of eliminations before the official opening ceremonies. We were finishing our breakfast when one friend's wife suggested we should hurry up so we would not be late getting to the track. Her husband said that they would not miss anything because the classes running that early were not worth watching. It was then that I came to my understanding of how the average spectator views the sportsman classes. I believe the average "John Force fan" spectator thinks us sportsman racers are out here running $500 cars, and they could do the very same thing at the next race but running such lowly classes would be beneath them.

Just my observation and opinion.

Hey Dan Moore, you're #1.

RIP Mark Graham