HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-24-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
Dragsinger
VIP Member

Liked 99 Times in 60 Posts
Default ft weight removal 3rd gen Camaro/Firebird

Racers,

would like to remove some front weight from my 3rd generation Firebird[same as Camaro]. As is sets now, all suspension components are factory stock with an S-10 manual steering gear. The only suspension mods are adjustable struts and Global West bushings. Front brakes all factory parts.

Also have a fiberglass cowl hood, light weight aluminum radiator, all bumper parts, crash bar parts are removed in addition to all unnecessary small items, brackets, braces, etc are removed. The front fascia and trim is supported by small tubing.

Am considering tubular K member, tubular A arms, rack & pinion steering, coil over front struts and after market brakes.

This car weighs 2770 less driver with an aluminum head small block. Runs 6.15 1/8 @ 112 MPH

I would like to remove at least 100 pounds WITHOUT creating durability problems. In addition, I have a very nice set of custom Lemons headers that need to fit with any new components.

Let me hear what you have done along these lines.

Thank You
Larry Woodfin
Old 12-30-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
Bill Baer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: ft weight removal 3rd gen Camaro/Firebird

Larry
I think the aftermarket brakes would be an excellent idea on both ends.

Some suggestions:
If you run an alternator, you might also consider a lighter battery (maybe a high buck lithium battery).

I also would look at the weight of your rolling stock (i.e. wheels and tires) if you can get lighter there you would be reducing rotating weight which is a win win.

I don’t have any experience with the aftermarket K members and A arms but it’s definitely the right end to take weight off of.

If it’s a pure race car you could also look at lexan windshield and windows.

That My 2cents worth
Old 01-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 703 Times in 206 Posts
Default Re: ft weight removal 3rd gen Camaro/Firebird

Larry, I spoke to one of my customers who races a similar Camaro running 9.0's .
He said to save the money on the tube crossmember ,was'nt worth the investment for the small weight reduction.
Also it created an interference problem with his Lemmons headers. Not major ,but still needed modification to 2 tubes.
Like Bill said put on the aftermarket brakes.
Sometimes building a little more HP is more economical than safely reducing weight on a unibody car.