Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-13-2015, 12:37 PM   #41
Gary Smith

Liked 76 Times in 24 Posts
Default Re: Does anybody really care?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Fazio View Post
This thread was about Tom Compton's absence, a guy that I am sure very few of us have ever met. That kind of bothers me actually. If I ran an organization like this and time permitted it, I would make it a point to try and come around the pits at national events, say hello to my clientele, and at least pretend to be making sure they are enjoying their experience. Sort of like a restaurant manager does when he walks over to your table, introduces himself, and asks how everything is going.
This has been my gripe too, even on my other post. It's not about wishing failure to NHRA. And I don't wish personal ill will on Compton, but I don't have to respect him, and I don't. He gets a failing grade for the job he's done ultimately since it's been self serving (you don't give yourself a pay raise above economic performance). But disappearing from his customers is outright unacceptable. And while I don't support all the big money that comes into the sport, what racers spend on their stuff is their own business. At the end of the day, we don't need Tom Compton, or NHRA brand to continue moving forward. This is why coups happen, to capitalize on a failing government, to oust self serving monarchy/dictatorship, instituting better leadership and sensible economic infrastructure.

Last edited by Gary Smith; 06-13-2015 at 01:10 PM.
Gary Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 01:47 PM   #42
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,726 Times in 1,309 Posts

Alan, a close friend of mine will often ride throughout the sportsman pits and declare.....Look at all the poor ness.....LOL... Isn't it ironic that NHRA follows such a poor business model yet so many of the sportsman racers are astute business men and ladies and that is why they can afford such expensive toys...ie....support equipment....M.J.
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 02:54 PM   #43
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,117 Times in 294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR DERBY CITY View Post
Alan, a close friend of mine will often ride throughout the sportsman pits and declare.....Look at all the poor ness.....LOL... Isn't it ironic that NHRA follows such a poor business model yet so many of the sportsman racers are astute business men and ladies and that is why they can afford such expensive toys...ie....support equipment....M.J.
M.J., I agree.

As an example, Kevin bought the motorhomes we traveled in in order to make it nice for his wife to go to the races. Really, asking a wife not devoted to racing like we are to stay in a super confined space with her husband and his crew chief is a bit much. Why shouldn't she be relaxed and confortable? It's her time away, too. Later, she didn't go much, and Kevin downsized. To the point where we had about 8'x8' of living space.

The motorhomes are good for other things, too. That same motorhome can be used for any sort of traveling. Why should a family be restricted to one type of leisure activity?

Another thing about it, two hotel rooms for three nights gets expensive if you do it often. Figure $120 a night total, if you stay in a real cheap motel, for 3 nights a weekend, 8 or 10 weekends a year. Now figure a payment on a new/newer 1 ton crew cab that costs between $50K and $80K, then that gap gets real narrow, figuring the payments on a 60-72 month schedule. When the bigger rigs are financed like a home mortgage and hold their value fairly well, it starts to make sense, if you can swing it.

These days, rigs get stolen all too often. Most often, when people spend the night at a hotel. The bigger rigs avoid that exposure.

And I agree, if racers can figure out how to create a good business model and live relatively well, why can't NHRA figure out a decent business model and afford to increase payouts like they increase their salaries?
Old 06-13-2015, 10:22 PM   #44
barnca2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Why does the Big boss of one of the stock super stock associations get a phone call when his association draws more cars than some NHRA events.

https://www.facebook.com/WHEELZUPRADIO
barnca2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 10:35 PM   #45
SS Engine Guy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Good post Alan. Motor home vs. motel/food costs vs. staying at the track with your equipment! Dead on! Those of you who travel alot like myself already figured out the cost savings plus the comfort/ safety level/ convenience of a race rig configured for 10-16 hour trips one way and 4-5 day stays. I did the tow hub, the flat bed, the 28 enclosed, the 48 ft. with living quarters for years until I finally added up the expenses. It is a a draw at best.
Now to payouts: for the costs to travel to a points meet including entry and other fees the payouts are an insult. Without contingency I can win more in a 100 mile radius at combo races for 50 bucks entry and be at home in bed by midnight. The payout problem to me is more about an insult than it is about dollars. I raced the points circuit/ national events for 12 years in the 90's and I didn't win alot. Maybe a couple runners ups and 3 wins a year and never cleared..yes cleared, after expenses including tires engine freshen ups, etc never less than 52k. That's decent money for a hobby. It literally payed for itself and made me a decent amount to put in the business. Keep in mind....a hobby. I already had a viable race engine business. I'm not referring to the racer that hits 5 div and a couple natls. close to home. If you don't win or r/u you don't need to worry about payouts because it dosen't matter...you aren't going to make any money anyway. But if you are serious about racing you will learn, progress, and get better. As others have said, the economy is in the worst shape in my lifetime. Irregardless what the news tell you. Anyone in business knows the truth. So that's my take on money, payouts etc.

Now, back on topic: I think that MJ made a very logical and a very human post about Mr. Compton. Like MJ and others I wish Mr. Compton the best and hope whatever problems he or his family faces are brief and turn out for the best. Irregardless of what I think about his role in NHRA. To me that has nothing to do with his well being or the well being of his family. And I don't really think anyone truly wishes him bad.

In ending......payout is a reward for being the best on a given day. A reward if you will. Without a justified reward some will continue to race many won't. It needs to be fixed an has needed fixing for alot of years. I relied on contingency as my reward and in my opinion that needs to be fixed also. Will I race for free? Hell yea! Why? Because I, over the years can afford to. The answer would have been very different 25 years ago. We need to grow this sport and grow our racer base and the current conditions with the economy and the sanctioning bodies are making this impossible.
SS Engine Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:55 AM   #46
RJ Sledge

Liked 266 Times in 86 Posts

After reading this thread from the beginning, I must admit I spoke too soon. Its started as a sympathy thread about the never ending saga of the personal tragedy of TC, "there go I except for the Grace of God", all the way to blame it on all the high rollers with the big rigs, lets bring back flat bed trailers and ramp trucks, and now its cheaper to buy a motorhome or a LQ trailer than stay in a motel for 15-20 days a year because its cheaper ( I can stay at the Hilton for around $140.00 a night and eat breakfast for free for 20 nights =$2800.00) Yeah right, lets get us a $150,000.00 MH and save some money.....

Like I said I admit I spoke too soon......I don't really care.

RJ
RJ Sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:41 AM   #47
Bill Bagley

Liked 31 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich View Post
This could be as constructive as anyone chooses to make it. However, when someone chooses to make it about how much a racer spends on his rig, it probably won't be, given that what a racer spends on his rig has absolutely nothing to do with what NHRA takes in and what they pay out. As a matter of fact, at one point, NHRA was actually getting money from some of the companies that make those rigs. But what the rig costs is completely and utterly irrelevant to the discussion.

Back to the real issue.

Whose fault is it that the stands are empty at LODRS races?

It is the place of NHRA, and by extension, the tracks, to promote the races, that is one of the biggest reasons NHRA exists to begin with. Or at least, it is what the founding charter said the reasons were. However, NHRA doesn't even advertise locally, and they don't give the tracks any money to do it, either. They sure do charge the tracks for the privilege of hosting an NHRA event though.

The list of things that NHRA could do to help fill the stands is endless. The list of things they actually do, does not exist.

As far as contingency sponsors are concerned, it is not nearly so much about how many fans are in the stands (although that does not help) as it is about how NHRA treats the sponsors and how much money NHRA takes from them out of the contingency fund that should be either going to racers or going back to the sponsors. I know exactly what it costs to be an NHRA contingency sponsor (I worked with one for a few years), and what it gets you. The return on the investment has gotten very poor, and it is no one's fault except NHRA.
Alan - you sound like an economics professor straight out of Hillsdale College. I especially embrace the importance of separation between flawed business models and an individual's ability to be or become successful.

The two scenarios: 1) NHRA's position with the sportsman racer; 2) the sportsman racer with the big rig; simply don't belong in the same discussion together.
Bill Bagley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 02:26 PM   #48
billy leber

Liked 10 Times in 1 Post

I've heard some of the racers with big expensive rigs have also been "deflating" their rear tires to gain an advantage ....
Old 06-14-2015, 06:08 PM   #49
tim worner

Liked 126 Times in 20 Posts

Now that's funny Billy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-14-2015, 06:23 PM   #50
Dan Fletcher
Sponsor

Liked 965 Times in 63 Posts
Talking Re: Does anybody really care?

I'm embarrassed to say it took me a minute, but LMAO!

DAN FLETCHER TRAILER SALES

Dan Fletcher is offline   Reply With Quote