HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
winstonindy

Default Motorhome Transmission Cooler Suggestions

Better late than never, but after 13 years of ownership and some bad luck with transmissions its time to add a cooler.

Anyone have suggestions on brands or size I should look for? Was thinking minimum 24,000 GVW cooler if not a 30,000 GVW.

Motorhome is a 35' Class A with the Ford v10. Would like to get this done before I leave for Indy...going up those Tennessee hills heading into Nashville is already making me sweat bullets, especially with a full tank of water and towing.

Thanks in advance!

-Karen
Old 08-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #2
treessavoy
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: Motorhome Transmission Cooler Suggestions

I have the same combination with a 28' trailer but haven't towed with it yet, can you tell me what type of troubles you've had so I know what to look for?

Thanks,

JimR
Old 08-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
winstonindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by treessavoy View Post
I have the same combination with a 28' trailer but haven't towed with it yet, can you tell me what type of troubles you've had so I know what to look for?

Thanks,

JimR
My RV is a 1999 built on a 1998 Chassis. On my 3rd transmission, and the heaviest I have ever towed is a Ford F150 flat on all four, or an Olds Sihouette van four flat.

The transmission from what I have been told in this chassis application is the same they were putting in the Ford Excursion SUV. I was also told that there was no space to put in a larger transmission.

First one blew when the coach had about 6000 miles on it. That was a warranty repair. Second blew at about 35,000 miles. No longer warranty at that point. So I am on #3, with 62,000 miles. This one seems to be holding its own.

I had the flywheel go about 2 years ago on the side of I-95 in Florida on Easter Sunday. That was a treat. Before it went I had been hearing a whistling when the coach was at low speed or idle. I was convinced it was the transmission when it went, but luckily it was a relatively cheap $500 repair bill.

I also find that my coach hesitates and skips when I am driving in heavy rain. I believe this has to do with poor design on the coach, and the air filter getting saturated.

I am also considering adding an oil cooler when I do the transmission cooler.

Last edited by winstonindy; 08-10-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:16 PM   #4
Rsmith38

Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts

Suggest you call Steve Ambrose - Ford Comp racer and Ford engineer (RETIRED!!) Who tows with a V10 Van. I'm sure he can give good advice.
Steve 734-671-1693
Rsmith38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:29 PM   #5
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

With the diesels the trick setup is is the 6.0 cooler from the 2003 (I think) and up. I believe the transmissions are the same on the V10's.
That is the upgrade that all the better trans builders use.
Try Brian's truck shop in Lead Hill Arkansas.
http://www.brianstruckshop.com/services.html

Last edited by art leong; 08-15-2012 at 07:34 PM.
art leong is offline   Reply With Quote