HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-14-2014, 01:42 PM   #1
Paul Merolla

Liked 232 Times in 57 Posts
Default A fresh start for Omaha's only local track

I attended a "Racer information meeting" last night put on by the new association of racers who are involved in operating the track formerly known as Rolling Thunder Dragstrip at MidAmerica Motorplex.
The association is a group of 5 guys who are busting their butts to make this a great place to race. They have a written agreement with the owners that spells out each party's responsibilities and, most importantly, keeps the track open for at least 2 more years (and negotiations are ongoing for even longer.) The long time track manager, who also busted his butt, has been relieved of his duties.
The first change, at the owner's request, is a name change / rebranding: the track is now called I-29 Dragway. Personally, I like it!
We also were invited to vote on improvements to be made; actually, to rank in order of importance the 5 things they have determined to be most pressing...restrooms, shutdown area repairs, right lane repairs, etc. What I took away from all this is that the folks who want the place to succeed are banding together to make it happen, without the "Roadblock" they used to run up against. One of the 5 is a regular on this board, my buddy Clark (cad), who is definitely interested in drawing some class racers to the track that have always frowned on the place for one reason or another. The one complaint I have heard for years is traction / track prep. To help put that one to bed, they are bringing in Bobby Meyer this spring to help formulate prep strategies for all the various conditions we run in. This alone should be incentive enough for guys to at least give the place another chance, in my opinion.
It is my hope to have a Midwest Class Racers combo race at I-29 Dragway this season, if the scheduling and sponsorships can be worked out.
Paul Merolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:39 PM   #2
Bunkster

Liked 43 Times in 10 Posts
Default Re: A fresh start for Omaha's only local track

“…Rolling Thunder Drag Strip at MAM is a 1/8-mile NHRA Drag Racing Facility… is a lot easier on vehicles than an "old school" ¼-mile facility.

Uhhhhh….nice try at making excuses why you’re not longer than an eighth-mile.

Better be careful of what you promote. Someone using this reasoning will be justifying why a sixteenth-mile drag strip is really “cool”.
Bunkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:06 PM   #3
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 501 Times in 184 Posts

I believe that this is good news.....A strip close to Omaha. Who cares if it 1/8 or 1/4.....It is still about the light and driving the finish line.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:19 PM   #4
Paul Merolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkster View Post

Better be careful of what you promote. Someone using this reasoning will be justifying why a sixteenth-mile drag strip is really “cool”.

I don't need anyone to tell me what I should promote. We would all love a full-length track, but the money just isn't there. They are wide open to the idea of a quarter mile track...if someone ponys up the 3.25 mil!

Last edited by Paul Merolla; 12-15-2014 at 11:04 AM. Reason: civility
Old 12-15-2014, 05:14 AM   #5
bobbyd6

Liked 71 Times in 27 Posts

Good to Hear Paul!!! Would love to have another great MCR race close to home!!
Old 12-15-2014, 06:25 AM   #6
Alan Nyhus
VIP Member

Liked 771 Times in 231 Posts

Good news, Paul. Keep us posted, okay? -Al
Old 12-15-2014, 10:54 AM   #7
Jim Parsons

Liked 131 Times in 25 Posts

Thanks Paul for the update and glad to hear they are moving forward with the track.

Jim

P.S. Love those reader boards "after the finish line"
Jim Parsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:22 AM   #8
Paul Merolla

I wanted to check back in with a report after my first outing of the year at I-29 Dragway. It was a tough test for the place, due to lots of rain Friday night and intermittent showers through Saturday.
The track is now super easy to get to - the new Hwy 34 is 4 lanes, and the road leading South to the track is beautiful new concrete.
The pits were in good shape considering all the rain. There is a lot of new concrete around the place, and the pit layout has been improved.
My first pass of the day produced my best 60' to date, 1.460. Mark Jenkins was there with his SS stick Cavalier, and he had to make a clutch adjustment after it dead hooked and bogged. I'm planning on attending this weekend's Stick Shift race, so that will also be a good test of the place. If you've avoided Rolling Thunder in the past, I would highly recommend giving I-29 Dragway a chance.