HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-03-2015, 05:53 PM   #3451
jack arnew

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: Original hemi dart information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liteweight View Post
Not the unibodies causing them to lane change. It was due to the steering geometry resulting from the K member being dropped half an inch. There was close to an inch of toe change from full front suspension extension to rebound due to the outter tie rods arc location.. These cars are SCAREY to drive left in this condition. Chrysler sent out parts to place the upper balljoint in a different location to correct this.

liteweight
Did a lot of Dart and Cuda suspensions back then and also many different brands for stock,super stock and outher classes.But toe change was not the only problem with front ends. Never found any problems with upper bal joints on mopars . The drop k frame was 75% of it , but most could not aquire enought caster from stock adjustments and had way too much camber change .Never found any issues after the cars were on front end machine as long as rear end suspension checked out. But have to agree they were a real hand full before any work was performed.
The very first Cuda's I did were Bill Stiles's SS/AA and my SS/A, first Dart was Richard Shipley's SS/AA, this was in late1968 or1969. Now I'm back in the game,as my son no longer wants to do the cars They would not let me retire for too long I guess. Will very soon have the new SS/AH of Dave Collette's on the machine. What a beautiful car this is. And I'm running a 67 Dart in nostalgia super stock circuit next season myself. Hope it's more fun and less work than last time.
jack arnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:03 PM   #3452
jack arnew

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

[quote=Liteweight;456754]Not the unibodies causing them to lane change. It was due to the steering geometry resulting from the K member being dropped half an inch. There was close to an inch of toe change from full front suspension extension to rebound due to the outter tie rods arc location.. These cars are SCAREY to drive left in this condition. Chrysler sent out parts to place the upper balljoint in a different location to correct this.

liteweight[/quote
Have followed from page 1 and the info in here helps the younger racers have a insite as to how it was for us old guys in the 60,70,80's, and see what it will take to restore one of these machines. Your Dart is a 10. Thanks for opening this form been great reading...Jack

Last edited by jack arnew; 01-03-2015 at 06:17 PM.
jack arnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:06 PM   #3453
Liteweight
VIP Member

Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts

Thanx for the good words Jack.

This car didn't have the modified parts sent out by Chrysler when I got it. It had all the correct kelsey Hayes brakes on it with the 4 1/2" bolt circle rotors only.

This was the most evil handling Mopar I've ever driven when I got it.. Toe change through it's suspension travel was just short of 1", & it wasn't equal side to side through it's travel. The camber change was horrible too.

I squared up the center link height side to side by shimming the steering box in one direction, & shimming the idler the other. To correct the camber change, I installed adjustable upper control arms. Next was relocationing the outter tie rod heights. This was done with heim ends & shims.

now it has less than 1/8" toe change through it's full travel, about 1/2* of camber change, & almost 5* of caster in it.

liteweight

Liteweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:24 PM   #3454
71Dartman440

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

May be re-post of an L023 but just in case. Came across this clean pict today on the AMC Race Photo Forum.

Note the closed lugnuts; stock lugs?

Last edited by 71Dartman440; 01-14-2015 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Additional Information.
71Dartman440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:35 AM   #3455
hemid68

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Today - Morgan Family and Friends Motorsports Hemi Dart (former Ray Rixman Dodge)- In August 2015 it will be 40 years since I rescued it from a junk yard!
Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pictures 120.jpg
Views:	3594
Size:	301.4 KB
ID:	26822  
hemid68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:16 AM   #3456
Charlie A
VIP Member

Liked 87 Times in 63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemid68 View Post
Today - Morgan Family and Friends Motorsports Hemi Dart (former Ray Rixman Dodge)- In August 2015 it will be 40 years since I rescued it from a junk yard!
Dan
Charlie A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:40 AM   #3457
tommy d

Liked 315 Times in 117 Posts

Found on f.b.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10888855_10204854010461475_8353324540286097199_n.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	26896  
Old 01-18-2015, 09:29 PM   #3458
rhinodaert

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack arnew View Post
Did a lot of Dart and Cuda suspensions back then and also many different brands for stock,super stock and outher classes.But toe change was not the only problem with front ends. Never found any problems with upper bal joints on mopars . The drop k frame was 75% of it , but most could not aquire enought caster from stock adjustments and had way too much camber change .Never found any issues after the cars were on front end machine as long as rear end suspension checked out. But have to agree they were a real hand full before any work was performed.
The very first Cuda's I did were Bill Stiles's SS/AA and my SS/A, first Dart was Richard Shipley's SS/AA, this was in late1968 or1969. Now I'm back in the game,as my son no longer wants to do the cars They would not let me retire for too long I guess. Will very soon have the new SS/AH of Dave Collette's on the machine. What a beautiful car this is. And I'm running a 67 Dart in nostalgia super stock circuit next season myself. Hope it's more fun and less work than last time.

I own Shipley's car now, was it always an automatic? I have seen docs that it was built as a 4-speed but nobody seems to know for sure. I wish I could find color pictures of it when he raced it, seems to be few and far inbetween. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I will be starting the resto this year back to the Poison Dart paint scheme.

Jim
rhinodaert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:21 AM   #3459
marfen

Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts

check the LH frame rail for evidence of a clutch z bar pivot that may still be there or evidence that one was there. Floor pan surgery may give you some idea .
marfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:03 AM   #3460
Liteweight
VIP Member

Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinodaert View Post
I own Shipley's car now, was it always an automatic? I have seen docs that it was built as a 4-speed but nobody seems to know for sure. I wish I could find color pictures of it when he raced it, seems to be few and far inbetween. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I will be starting the resto this year back to the Poison Dart paint scheme.

Jim
Good to hear Jim. It'll be great to see another of these back in the limelight.

marfen (Dave) has a great idea there bout the bracket on the frame rail

liteweight
Liteweight is offline   Reply With Quote